Wanting to build a new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

browndm87

Hey everyone,

I have a new beardie, she is about 3 or 4 months old I believe. My boyfriend and I have talked about wanting to build something for her that's a little bigger for her as she grows. My boyfriend had the idea of wanting to build a habitat in the corner and making it a 2 story so she has a way to climb and more room to roam around. We are new at this and would like to have any advice that would be helpful to making this habitat a great home for her. We love her to death and want to give her an amazing place to grow up.

charmander16

Juvie Member
You can check out the thread on my viv here: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=233838

I will say that the viv I built is pretty big and a bit more difficult than building a simple rectangular viv, if that's what you mean by "in the corner".

If you're interested in building something like what I built there I can give some additional pointers. I've been very happy with the overall design. I think the corner design gives a lot of extra depth of the enclosure. It's about 12.5 square feet of base floor space, a full 16 square feet if you count the 2nd level.

I think it's better than a comparable 12 square foot 6'X2' or 4'X3' viv.

browndm87

Original Poster
Thank you for that information. The shape is kind of what i want, but i think my boyfriend is wanting to build something like a second story type thing if that makes sense. It wouldnt be a ledge it would be another floor, i think that is what he is thinking so trying to figure out how to do lighting and everything.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I would advise against that. Getting the heating and lighting right is that type of setup is going to be extremely difficult, and not much of a benefit IMO. There is no real reason to separate the spaces. Most likely one would end up too cold and she'd never use it. They also like being able to see everything going on in their environment.

You could build it taller, but if you made it the same dimensions as mine, except 3 feet tall, you would have a very difficult time getting it into a room. You could maybe make it 4 foot tall and modular, so you make them separately and stack them and assemble them inside, but I'd venture to say you'd have to spend over $1,000 to make such a thing with reasonable quality if you're buying the material retail.

browndm87

Original Poster
Ok, thank you so much for that I didnt realize. I will talk to my boyfriend about these things and we will figure out another game plan. thank you again for that information

charmander16

Juvie Member
Another thing to do is look for old furniture. Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=226311

That's got some good ideas too, and is a taller corner type setup. That one does't have as large a floor area as mine, but that makes it easier to get into a room. For comparison, if you look at the pics on my viv, toward the bottom you see it on a desk. That desk is probably the same dimensions as this furniture, so that shows how much wider my viv is, but this one is taller and taller can be good too and certainly easier to move into place.

Starting with some corner furniture like that may be a very good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom