Outside enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDragons

Juvie Member
We are planning on building an outside enclosure for Kirby so he can hang out with us when we are outside. Currently we use a leash and tie him up to the chair we are sitting on. With all the turkey vultures in our area we worry that even though we are with him he looks like a yummy orange tasty treat and we don't want to take any chances. He will never be left outside when we aren't with him.

I picked up some utility black vinyl hardware mesh (1/4" x 1/4" hole size). Size will be approximately 4 ft long x 3 ft wide x 3 ft tall.

The plan is to make a wooden frame and attach the mesh to the outside.

Question for everyone are:

Has anyone made an outside house like this and if so do you have any tips I should keep in mind while constructing.

What type of wood should I use. I'm thinking about cedar because it doesn't split easily and can be left outside. I don't want to use any type of pressure treated wood as that isn't safe for Kirby. Does anyone know if cedar is safe for beardies. I know pine isn't safe.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't built one but I'd imagine most types of mesh or chicken wire would work. You'd want the holes to be big enough for plenty of sunlight to get through but small enough to offer plenty of protection from birds/predators. I'd also incorporate a shade area to allow for a cooler spot away from the sun if he wants it. I would avoid cedar because it can be harmful to dragons. It might be less of a risk outdoors but I wouldn't risk it. I'd use a hardwood and coat it with polyurethane or other sealant to protect it from the elements.

SDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon. Good to know that cedar isn't safe.

Definitely will incorporate shade. The plan is to have climbing branches and areas of shade so he has options and enrichment opportunities different than his inside house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom