Grout on wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I've started building my new viv and a main feature a large triangular plywood shelf in the corner. It's about 2 sqft in size, around 3 ft along it's longest edge.

I want to cover this in grout and make it the main basking area. I'll probably put a real rock on top of the ledge as well if needed to get height to the heat source (or not if not needed).

Right now this is just a plain 1/2" plywood shelf. I want to basically cover the top of it in grout and the leading edge and probably a little bit of the under side, but probably just go with paint along most of the under side.

Should I just follow the same guidelines people use for grout on foam or should this be done differently? I'm thinking of using basically just colored sanded grout and giving the top an even coat. I do want to perhaps use some real rocks in it as well to give it more variety. I don't want to use any foam.

Anything specific I should know? Do I need to put down some kind of structure, like chicken wire for the grout to grip to, or can I just paint water grout directly onto the wood? Should I seal the wood first with like a primer or put grout onto the raw wood? Etc.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Actually, not I'm thinking that maybe I should use concrete instead of grout. Any thoughts on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom