DIY Hide Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enderess

First of all, I do not have pictures yet, but when I can get some pictures, I will add them to this post.

Okay, so I have an idea about a DIY hide for your beardie! I saw someone in a youtube video with something similar, so here it is!

You will need:

A wicker ball (like the one below, the size of it is your choice.):
full

Scissors, or very strong hands (you probably have one of the two, or both!)

and finally, some nice little blankets :wink: (you should use cut up pieces of fleece.)

Instructions:

1.) cut (or rip) out a whole in the wicker ball. This will be the entrance to your hide.

2.) Put blankets into the hide, so your beardie can have a warm, snuggly hide.

3.) (bonus) put little pillows kind of like this one.

This is only an idea, and I am going to make one for my little beardie that I am getting soon. I will upload images soon, so please send me pics if you make one! :blob5:

Thanks for your time!

-Enderess (or Emily, if you prefer..)

charmander16

Juvie Member
Sounds like an interesting idea.

Just something to point out however: Stuff like blankets don't do much to help coldblooded animals (like lizards) stay "warm and snuggly". Blankets work for people and other warm blooded animals because we generate our own heat and the insulation helps to trap that heat and keep it close to our bodies, but lizards don't generate heat. They require external sources of heat, so blankets don't really keep them warm. They might keep them warm a little longer than not having a blanket, as in as few seconds or maybe minutes, but their body temp will equalize at the room temperature, regardless of any blankets.

Not a big deal and not a reason to avoid doing what you're doing, just making it clear that blankets don't work for lizards the same way they work for mammals... :D

But also if you want your lizard to have a warm place when its dark or outside of the light, then you need a heating pad. I have a heating pad on the side of my tank and our dragon sleeps right next to it every night. (The side is better than on the bottom of the tank so they can't lay directly on it and burn themselves).

I just wanted to clarify that to make sure it is clear that if you think your lizard needs warmth then they need a heating pad, not a blanket :)

Enderess

Original Poster
charmander16":3lyeb5sz said:
Sounds like an interesting idea.

Just something to point out however: Stuff like blankets don't do much to help coldblooded animals (like lizards) stay "warm and snuggly". Blankets work for people and other warm blooded animals because we generate our own heat and the insulation helps to trap that heat and keep it close to our bodies, but lizards don't generate heat. They require external sources of heat, so blankets don't really keep them warm. They might keep them warm a little longer than not having a blanket, as in as few seconds or maybe minutes, but their body temp will equalize at the room temperature, regardless of any blankets.

Not a big deal and not a reason to avoid doing what you're doing, just making it clear that blankets don't work for lizards the same way they work for mammals... :D

But also if you want your lizard to have a warm place when its dark or outside of the light, then you need a heating pad. I have a heating pad on the side of my tank and our dragon sleeps right next to it every night. (The side is better than on the bottom of the tank so they can't lay directly on it and burn themselves).

I just wanted to clarify that to make sure it is clear that if you think your lizard needs warmth then they need a heating pad, not a blanket :)

Yeah, I did already know that they don't need it, but thanks for the clarification anyways :D

I just thought that it might be a bit more comfy for them to sit on, rather that sitting on the bottom of a wicker ball :lol:

Thanks for your time!

-Enderess (or Emily, if you prefer..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom