Help with sealant choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Ok - so I have read a few threads that said polyurethane is the best choice BUT it has to air out for weeks. Here's my issues, actually a photo first.
87171-527192392.jpg
This is my reno of my enclosure. I had planned (LOL) on waiting until well after I was finished before getting a new beardie...and then I met Charlie at Petsmart
87171-7769563463.jpg
So...yeah...I need to finish this ASAP. Right now she is in a travel play pen (puppy style one) and I really need to get her into a better habitat to ease the stress of having my cats come up and sniff through the mesh of the pen.

I'm using Styrofoam (as you can see in the photo) and have 3 12"x12" tiles in the front section. I'll be grouting it all (hopefully tonight), and adding acrylic paint to it (and to the glass that I painted blue in the back - the enclosure has glass sides, back and bottom, was originally a snake enclosure my friend gave me for my late Evee).

I would love to get Charlie into her new home within a week or less if at all possible. This enclosure is in my main livingroom where my family hangs out, so it has to be low ordor too. My brain hurts today (migraines suck) and I just can't seem to wrap my head around all the options. I did by some acrylic sealant and I have modpodge, but I want to make sure it is absolutely safe for my new baby girl.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you!

Just an afterthought - yes that is a big water dish that will have an aerator in it to make it circulate. No I'm not worried about humidity as it is really dry up my way right now (I'll probably shut the water down in the summer though as it does get humid) and the doors and top are metal mesh. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to hang the basking light and ceramic heat emitter too. There's a sling in the back bottom (where it's dark). The water dish, her hide, a 'tree' will all be in there and removable for ease of cleaning :)

From what I read normal Mod podge is a good choice because it's non toxic and is ok to get wet sometimes but not if you plan on getting it wet all the time. If you need something more waterproof use Mod Podge Outdoor, it is very durable, water resistant and only has a mild odor.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Awesome! Thank you! No, I don't plan on getting it wet at all :) So I will go with the modpodge I have. That's what I originally got it for, but then I was reading about all the different sealants and wanted to be sure.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Modpodge is not really a sealant. Water ( from cleaning or splashes from the fountain ) can temporarily soften it and can make cleaning more difficult. If your ok with redoing it now and then I'm sure it's fine.

Given your time constraints an epoxy resin is probably your best bet for something durable. Pond shield is the one that comes to mind as far as being on-toxic and intended for animals. It's more expensive but probably a lot more durable than modpodge.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
That's what I was wondering about the modpodge. Everything in the enclosure will be set except for the water and food dish, hide, and a tree. If I go to clean, I really don't want the sealant coming off. I'll check out the pond shield. Thanks!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
SobI googled pond shield...wayyy out of my budget range ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavenbeardies
Top Bottom