Plexiglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
This summer I'm going to build a pretty big enclosure and i want to do a plexiglass front. It'll be an open top and a door on the side, therefore the plexiglass won't be drilled into or need to be strong enough to open or anything. But we are a clumsy household so glass is out of the question. My question is.. Where to order plexiglass? How to cut it?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Thick plexiglass is about the same cost as glass in my area. For safety you can look into laminated glass. It's about double the cost of regular glass but it has a middle layer of plastic so if it breaks it doesn't shatter.

I've gotten plexiglass at Lowe's and it's simple to cut with a cutting tool they sell in the same department. Get decently thick stuff as the thinner it is the more it can warp over time.

Also. Be forwarned that plexiglass is not nearly as scratch resistant as glass.

Plexiglass after about a year: he bottom is etched by his claws, it's not dirty.

Laminated glass:

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'll definitely do some shopping around for sure! yeah plexiglass is definitely not scratch resistant, but it's cheap until I know for sure that's the tank/setup/size we'll keep for the next 10 years. Btw, what's the dimensions of your tank?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's 4x2x4 and he does have his own matching blinds. lol.

I used the plexiglass for about a year before finally putting out the money for glass. Totally know where you are coming from there :)

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yay!! I'm debating between doing 4x3x3 or 4x4x2 or 4x4x4. I think the 3h would be best, but I'm wondering how the light/warmth would be if I bump up to 4h. How do you mount your lights inside and what basking bulbs do you use?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you have the space I always prefer bigger enclosures. 4' is a pretty good height, and having my lights inside I loose some of the space to the lamps/bulbs. I also loose some to the substrate. I have about 3' of effective space I think. A 4' cube would be pretty awesome, you could do some awesome things with that. Fancy lighting would get a little expensive but totally doable.

My basking bulbs are various wattages of hallogens, I have three each on a separate rheostat/dimmer. (I'll post a pic in a next post) More lamps further away is generally better for a nice even hot zone anyway. Radiant heat panels can also help boost the temps in larger cages.

I use T5HO lighting, a 22" Arcadia 14% for UVB and a 36" daylight bulb for ambient light. If I were doing it over I would make the 36" a double bulb fixture. (Someday I might get a second strip anyway).

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The ceiling isn't so pretty (but the blinds hide it anyways) as I just have the lamps hanging so they are easy to adjust if I redecorate or need to dial in the temps.

I don't want to hijack your thread but I'm happy to answer any building/lighting questions! Im really excited to see
Someone considering such a spacious enclosure :)

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
You didn't hijack at all ? I LOVE your setup and fell in love with the "live" aspect the first time I saw it. I think with a little maneuvering I can pull off the 4' cube, however I'm thinking maybe pull the width into 3' and keep the length and height 4' just to save a bit of space.

I do want opinions on these ideas though!! When I build I will be upgrading to a uvb tube. With 4' what's the ideal and minimum length? Also that means I will have two basking domes available for heat. I'm assuming, from what you said, maybe put them side by side? I want my top to be a mesh/screen/chicken wire type material and I'm thinking mount my current reflective domes inside by hanging them from it at perhaps varying lengths? Plus the screen at top will also double as ventilation. Also do I need to center mount my uvb like yours or can I mount it against the back wall with a reflector?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Zombiepanda":2vszwbrf said:
You didn't hijack at all ? I LOVE your setup and fell in love with the "live" aspect the first time I saw it. I think with a little maneuvering I can pull off the 4' cube, however I'm thinking maybe pull the width into 3' and keep the length and height 4' just to save a bit of space.

I do want opinions on these ideas though!! When I build I will be upgrading to a uvb tube. With 4' what's the ideal and minimum length? Also that means I will have two basking domes available for heat. I'm assuming, from what you said, maybe put them side by side? I want my top to be a mesh/screen/chicken wire type material and I'm thinking mount my current reflective domes inside by hanging them from it at perhaps varying lengths? Plus the screen at top will also double as ventilation. Also do I need to center mount my uvb like yours or can I mount it against the back wall with a reflector?

Here is another beardie with a big bioactive enclosure from some more ideas. http://trevthebeardie.tumblr.com/ I think his is a 5x3x3.

Some good resources:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bioactivegroup/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/454242811428496/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/384134861721116/

Size wise, I think 4'x3' floor space is pretty good, I couldn't fit much more in my house reasonably myself. Even the 4'x2' enclosures that I have take up more than I thought they would.

For the lights, it will depend on how far away things are and where you dragon likes to hang out. In my cage a 22" UVB is 'basking' strong @ 14" and still decently strong well down to the bottom of the cage. A 36" is doable, just be attentive to where you place furnishings that heat AND UVB follow a gradient. T5HO lighting is the way to go for UVB and ambient lights. These lights should ALWAYS be mounted overhead. Wall mounting isn't great since it can shien into the lizards eyes. My one light it tucked into the corner, this is fine, you want the light always shining down. (Even with basking lamps) If you can afford one, a UVB Meter (solarmeter 6.5) is really handy to make sure you aren't under/over exposing areas of the cage.

I would put the lamps side by side, so you set up a hot zone, rather than just a spot. My three lights work to have one hottest spot on the tile platform (115-120), and a larger area of heat (110-100) on the cork. many ways to do it. :) again, in my house i need all the lights to keep the whole cage nice and warm.

For the lid, I find I have plenty of ventilation with a 6" gap at the top, I can use the blinds to open/close it off more. My house (especially in winter) is on the cold side, so this helps me with heat. You may have a different situation, and you can always adjust how much is open on top.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh man one day I want a bioactive viv!!! However, at the moment that just a little outside of my time commitment. However I do eventually want to convert this over into one, just maybe next year. Good to know about the wall vs hanging light. I'll definitely adjust that in my plans. But it's good to know that I can still use a 22" instead of having to jump up to a 36" just because of the size. Oh yeah and definitely I'll be getting the T5HO because of the height. So I looked again and I see you have 4 bulbs. 2 basking, 1 uvb, and what's the 4th? Or are both tubes uvb?

I'm so excited to be making such a spacious enclosure but I want to make sure my plans are realistic before I'm halfway through and stressing over lights ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom