Yea .. another "new build questions" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFellor

Greetings all.

My wife and I have a year old dragon, Mike, and thanks to our new cat from hell we are building him a new enclosure. He is currently in a 55 (I think?) gallon glass aquarium she found a good deal on. Problem is it is an open top and this new kitten will NOT leave him alone and stop jumping in there.

So we are building a new 48" x 20" x 30" enclosure for him. Dragonov I hope you don't mind but we are using your build as inspiration. Same basic layout, just changing the dimensions a bit.

First question is; we currently use slate tile as the floor in his enclosure. We got all the supplies and such last night and the wife started carving out the "rocks" and hides and such. Should we stick with the slate and just put the foam on top of it? Sand? Sand in his hides and slate outside? Something else? What is everyone using on their custom builds and what have you found that works well? Ease of cleaning is a priority.

Second I think I am going to go with a halogen bulb for the basking light. Do I need a ceramic socket for that due to the heat or am I okay with porcelain? I'll probably mount that on one end with a 24" UVB light on the same end and another perhaps LED light on the other side just so it isn't dark. Maybe a ceramic heater for some night time heating though I don't think that will be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom