Crossfire DIY - Help! Ceramic IR and MV UVB Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelbeldesign

We are in the process of building crossfire style enclosures for our two boys in anticipation of their welcoming bearded dragons after Christmas. As newbies we are trying to get as much information to give our dragons their best start. In that spirit, we visited the exotic vet today for our husbandry appointment and she strongly recommended we use a ceramic IR heat emitter and a self ballasted Mercury Vapor UVB lamp for our new critters. Problem is I am not sure how best to incorporate these two lamps into the design of the crossfire - as far as I can tell they are meant to be used with a wire topped aquarium? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you in advance for the advice!

Kelly

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Kind of depends how your building the enclosure. The lights and heater can be mounted on the inside as long as the dragon can't come in contact with them. The mercury bulb cant be used with a dimmer switch, but the CHE can be. That way you can adjust how much heat you want it to put off. When you get your enclosure built, take some pictures so we can try to help figure out the best way to set the lights and CHE up.

kelbeldesign

Original Poster
Thanks all for the help. Here are the specifics - we built 4'x2'x2' melamine enclosures using the crossfire plans. They have vents along the back and on the sides. We still need to get basking platforms, hides and other goodies. Our main question - can we install these lights inside the enclosure? or do they need to be an external installation like an aquarium with metal screen on the top. Thanks again for all the help

Here are some photos of the enclosures, bulbs we got on the vets recommendation and fixtures recommended by the manufacturer that we are considering buying: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10211627842794580.1073741900.1321542190&type=1&l=b86cc17b2d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom