Built my own habitat hang out for my new bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
88673-8274069321.jpg
88673-413866812.jpg
88673-4465897367.jpg

88673-3936862908.jpg

My bearded dragon is about 8 inches long and is a juvenile. His name is toothless. He has a 65 gallon terrarium and it needed some habitat to make him feel more acclamated. After seeing what the pet stores charge for basking platforms I decided to build my own rock or basking platform. I used styrofoam, child safe grout, non toxic acrylic paint for outdoor use, and modge podge spray sealant. I hope he likes it.

88673-7009325009.jpg

88673-6564319460.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Looks great, you seem to be a great beardie slave. At 8" long he already has you jumping through hoops,lol.

gbgirl1705

Original Poster
I have to admit I really love this little guy. I bought him for my son but I am the one who has fallen for this little guy. I lost him for 36 hours and now I'm even more protective. Love love love him!

88673-8001872226.jpg

That looks awesome! Very well done! I am looking to start building areas for my beardie to climb as well using styrofoam!

I have to ask, what do you plan on using to clean the basking area you made? I am afraid of when it comes to cleaning day that scrubbing a home made one with soap and water will break it or rub off the coating. Along with if using another disinfectant will just eat straight through the styrofoam. This is the only thing keeping me from building one for my beardie as well! :?

gbgirl1705

Original Poster
I sprayed several coats of sealant and Sealed the grout before painting it with acrylic paint made for outdoor use. These are all mold and water resistant and it's sealed to the point of being able to be submerged in water. Patience is key with the whole sealant process. I finished he last few coats with rustoleum leak-seal rubber coating. Stops cracking and makes it water-tight. Its used for gutters, roofs, and concrete. I've already washed it and it's just as the ones are in the pet store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom