Safe wood sealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyemiline

Hatchling Member
We are building a 4x2x2 enclosure for our Bearded Dragon, and from what I'ver read it is best to seal the wood that will be on the inside of the enclosure that is exposed to the heat and your Dragon.

I found this sealer and was wondering if anyone knows if it will be safe, and will the sealer itself emit any fumes once it's done drying and is exposed to the heat from the lamps.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.diamond-wood-finish---int-water-satin-236ml.1000111884.html

If this sealer is not safe, could anyone suggest a name and brand of one that is, I am in Canada also so will most likely have to get it from home depot.

And also how many coats of sealer would be best to apply to the inside to ensure no fumes from the wood escape.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would put down a couple of polyurethane coats and let it dry for several days. That will provide a durable, waterproof coating for the wood.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't heard of it specifically but it's water based so probably safe but perhaps not as durable. That's just a guess though.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some folks use polycrylic. It's water based too. Safe, just not necessarily as durable as polyurethane.

amyemiline

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok thank you so much, sorry for all the questions, but is there a brand or a specific polyurethane you would suggest.

Im just so nervous about putting something like that in his tank, and want to make sure its 100% ok so I don't worry myself to death.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have used minwax polyurethane (solvent based) and minwax polycrylic (water based). Polycrylic is not UV stable (the lights will bleach the wood/stain through the sealer). It is also less durable/water resistant.

Polyurethane, as far as I know, is safe and stable once fully cured (which can take several weeks). Cure time and fumed during curing maybe a concern depending on your work area.

If your looking for something sure fire safe and durable epoxies like those used for ponds are the way to go, pondsheild is the brand I've seen recommended.

amyemiline

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so with the water based, other than bleaching the wood through the selaer, would that be the only issue, which I assume would require re application over time.Which I would be fine doing.

the curing time of the non water based stuff is what worries me, because like you both said it takes a long time and how would i be sure when it has been the right ammount of time.

I will also look into pondshield

amyemiline

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok, thanks for the input and advice.

since im super worried about cure time it looks like I will be getting the pond armour epoxy, they sell it at my local hardware store.

thanks again :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Hope it works well for you. I havnt used it myself butt heard good things. I've not been able to find it local and shipping "hazardous chemicals" is costly. Heh.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Taterbug":1kg5lv9a said:
Hope it works well for you. I havnt used it myself butt heard good things. I've not been able to find it local and shipping "hazardous chemicals" is costly. Heh.
Home Depot carries it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom