Building an enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColeE

Hello,

I'm planning on building my first enclosure, and I've got a few questions...
First I can't really decide between melamine or plywood, I think I'll go with the plywood, but if you could give me some insight on the two that would be great, and also what sealants are okay for plywood? If I do go with the plywood I'm thinking Birch or Maple... I think I'll make it 50" long, 30" High, and 20" deep, will this be okay? right now my dragon is in a 50 gallon this will be about 130 gallons I believe, my dragon is 18 inches right now so I think he will have a lot more room. So any tips or help would be appreciated!

quyllur

Hatchling Member
I made mine out of birch plywood and am happy I did. Melamine has a nice look but breaks down quite quickly if any moisture gets in there, particularly at the open ends of the panel. Plywood can be stained or painted any colour you like to match furniture. You can seal it with polyurethane. I used a water based polyurethane and it was really easy to work with and very low odor.

ColeE

Original Poster
quyllur":v8jzidw2 said:
I made mine out of birch plywood and am happy I did. Melamine has a nice look but breaks down quite quickly if any moisture gets in there, particularly at the open ends of the panel. Plywood can be stained or painted any colour you like to match furniture. You can seal it with polyurethane. I used a water based polyurethane and it was really easy to work with and very low odor.

Thanks for the reply, how long did it take for the odor to go away? And how long did you have to wait to start putting stuff in and putting your dragon in?

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Not more than a couple of days for the smell. Not sure how long before putting dragon in, as I had to wait for other things to arrive before my dragon could be put in.

ColeE

Original Poster
quyllur":3m590lsd said:
Not more than a couple of days for the smell. Not sure how long before putting dragon in, as I had to wait for other things to arrive before my dragon could be put in.

Ok thanks, do you think the size will be okay?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I like polyurethane better than polycrylic (the water based version) but it takes a good few weeks to cure. It makes a better finished product though. You can also use marine epoxy or epoxy pond liner for a super durable non-toxic sealer.

Your dimensions sound fine. Dragons will use any space you give them so if you have space no harm in going bigger. I have a 48x48x24 and he uses every bit of it.

I used plywood for both of mine as well. I don't like the look of melamine and the durability isn't as good.

ColeE

Original Poster
Taterbug":2on6b1gp said:
I like polyurethane better than polycrylic (the water based version) but it takes a good few weeks to cure. It makes a better finished product though. You can also use marine epoxy or epoxy pond liner for a super durable non-toxic sealer.

Your dimensions sound fine. Dragons will use any space you give them so if you have space no harm in going bigger. I have a 48x48x24 and he uses every bit of it.

I used plywood for both of mine as well. I don't like the look of melamine and the durability isn't as good.

Thanks for the info, on your terrariums did you usee polyurethane?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I used polyurethane on one and polycrylic on another. The polyurethane has held up lots better. I used the high grade plywood - shouldn't have issues of you seal it up good.

ColeE

Original Poster
Taterbug":3roxeurw said:
I used polyurethane on one and polycrylic on another. The polyurethane has held up lots better. I used the high grade plywood - shouldn't have issues of you seal it up good.

Ok, one last question I think, is the min wax polyurethane ok? Like this stuff https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.polyurethane---satin.1000406386.html
I don't know if it's water based or oil based, should I go for water based or of it's oil based do you have to wait for it cure for longer?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It is solvent (oil) based - the chemicals react with oxygen to for the final solid material. In theory the harsh solvents and other chemicals are no longer present after it cures. (Good airflow and fresh air are important, sunlight can help speed the process) Curing can take several weeks. I used minwax and left if cure for a month or two.

The water based version is polycrylic. It cures faster but it is not UV stable (the wood/stain can and will bleach from the UV light) and less tollerant of moisture.

ColeE

Original Poster
Taterbug":294hidoa said:
It is solvent (oil) based - the chemicals react with oxygen to for the final solid material. In theory the harsh solvents and other chemicals are no longer present after it cures. (Good airflow and fresh air are important, sunlight can help speed the process) Curing can take several weeks. I used minwax and left if cure for a month or two.

The water based version is polycrylic. It cures faster but it is not UV stable (the wood/stain can and will bleach from the UV light) and less tollerant of moisture.

Ok thanks! So if I left in my garage with the fan blowing on it with the garage door open that should be fine, I think I'll use the min wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom