DIY Outdoor Enclosure Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanthaJo92

Hi I'm Samantha I'm new to the page. I have literally searched everywhere with no luck so here goes. I have 2 bearded dragons that I rescued from a horrible situation. Both I have brought up in weight, regular feedings, correct lighting, temperature and such. However, I've been wanting to let them outside during the day to soak up some natural UV. The older one is about 1.5-2yrs she has laid a clutch of eggs when I first got her and the smaller one is maybe 6-8 months. I was wondering what others have used as substrate for their outdoor enclosures as I want it to be realistic I guess like a mini vacation spot for them. Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for giving them a good home! How long are you thinking of having them outside at a given time? I will usually just put my guy in a fold up play pen or hold him in my lap if I have him out for a while. If you want to put them outside and let them stay there for most of the day then I'd build something that has some shade and bars to protect them from predators. For substrate the natural ground should be fine. You could put in a wood floor too if you'd like. That would prevent digging. If they're out for a long period unsupervised I'd be a bit wary about toxic bugs like lighting bugs getting into the enclosure and being eaten but that depends on the season and the area I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom