had to touch up a tiny spot with polycrylic

Status
Not open for further replies.
my wife accidentally dropped a new corner basking rock up against the side wall and slightly tore through the existing polycrylic. its a small spot but low enough i really want to touch it up. but im not sure how long that tiny spot will take before its safe for them again? its maybe a 1/4" circle overall. i have the heat lights on it drying now but im thinking ill have to move the dragon who lived there into something else temporarily. these stupid basking rocks they bought today are SUPER sharp on the edges and it just tore right through the polycrylic i had on the side wall right to the wood underneath it. i was pretty surprised. sucks to because it looked beautiful before now it has this gash in the one wall.

i think we will now have to make our own out of some spray foam and grout mix. she paid a ton for these ones and im not sure i want the dragons even crawling around on them they are so sharp in spots. its not how rough they are but actually how sharp they are on the edges. either that or ill have to dremel them to round some spots off. its been drying for 5 hours now and i do not smell anything nor does my wife and she has what i call a "SUPER SNIFFER" she is very very sensitive to these types of smells and gets VERY bad miagrains from them and she stuck her nose right to the spot and cant smell anything. i literally just used my finger and dabbed a bit over the gash just enough to seal the wood again.

thoughts? i hate to have to go buy a whole tank for temp use when i just finished these custom ones. the spot is literally about 1/4" or less. im only going to do one coat for now. eventually i'll fill and sand it down and re coat but need to use this for now. im building a huge 5ft wide 5-6ft tall setup now with cabinet below the enclosures.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a bummer. At least it was just a small spot. I would make sure the polycrylic is completely dry and then give it a bit of time after that to ensure the fumes are dissipated. I'd probably give it at least 24hrs/overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom