QUBELOK System 3 bay beardie apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Am thinking of using QUBELOK connectors to build a new 3 bay beardie apartment building for Rex, Peppa and Toothless. each enclosure with a 4 foot x 2 foot footprint (I think 18" tall each).

See https://www.aluminiumtc.com.au/qubelok/

Essentially will have 1" square black aluminium tubing as my structural elements and 6mm thick clear colourless UV hardened Perspex sheeting for the back and sides (large sheets (long enough to cover for all 3 stacked enclosures) for the back and sides for more rigidity.

I'll have sliding 6mm thick perspect sheets for front doors.

1/2 inch thick marine ply for the tops and bottoms of each enclosure (I'll not be painting these, but lining the bottoms with loose ceramic tile overtop of a 3mm thick Perspex liner.

Not sure if I should use rivets , or glue or self taping screws to hold everything together especially the tubes to the joiners and the Perspex to the aluminium tubing.

Anyone used the QUBELOK or CONNECTIT system to build multibay enclosures ?
How well did they hold together ?

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
I would go for the rivets if Ihad to use aluminum however if i could go with steel I would weld because welding is much stronger if it is done right.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I looked at similar products here (AEX and just custom building with aluminum extrusions) and the price ended up being more than I'd care to spend. (I ended up using dimensional lumber). If the budget is there I think they'd make sharp enclosures. The connectors I looked at and that we have at work use threaded fasteners of different sorts (machine screws or specialty) which would be handy if you need to disassemble or reconfigure the thing again.

Have you used Perspex/acrylic in beardie cages yet? I've personally not been impressed with the scratch resistance and prefer glass for clear surfaces. For back walls especially a solid opaque ABS plastic might be worth looking into. There are also slotted profiles of extrusions (more expensive though) that would eliminate the need to fasten the walls.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
No Ihave not but they do have special coatings you can get its just more eexpensive and it has to be special ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom