Viv Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to build a viv for my beardie, but I'm not sure with what I should use. I found an item on Home Depot, and it's called PureBond Prefinished Maple Project Panel. It says on the item thing that it's soy-based PureBond adhesive is formaldehyde-free. So, would that be okay? And also, what would you recommend for screws and such? I kind of wanted to make the front with plexiglass, and it would open outwards while the bottom have would have holes for breathing, kind of like the exoterra tanks. But again, I kind of don't know where to begin. Any thoughts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here is a walkthrough of a popular model. I'd read through this and perhaps it will give you some ideas. Melamine is a popular material to use but if you have the budget to upgrade to oak or a similar hardwood it might be nice (although I'd save the majority of your budget for good lighting).
https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html

quyllur

Hatchling Member
The Purebond Maple Project Panel is just a piece of plywood cut to smaller dimensions. 2'x4'. You will need more materials than that to make an appropriately sized enclosure.

The link that CooperDragon posted can be made with plywood instead, you can skip the melamine edging and the enclosure will be more durable, but it will be more expensive to do if you use a nice plywood, and you will need to either stain it and seal it (polyurethane) or just seal it.

WaywardChild

Original Poster
@CooperDragon: Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I also will be wanting to upgrade to oak then when possible. I'd rather a strong and resilient material than anything.

@quyllur: This seems easy enough. I've got a lot of time and even though I'd have to save for a while, I wouldn't mind it. I like doing projects, so I don't mind the time that will have to be put into it.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
I adapted the design in the link and used birch plywood. I needed two sheets of 4' x 8' but I created a larger enclosure as well as incorporated a shelf underneath for storage and to act as an inbuilt stand. Here are a couple of pictures:

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

I actually had a lot of fun putting mine together, but I really enjoy projects like this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom