Enclosure from entertainment unit...lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCooper

I am re-purposing an entertainment unit into a cage for my beardie. It is 48w x 24d x 38h and sliding glass doors in the front I am not sure what way is the best to put the UVB and basking lights in. I want to get a tube UVB and a fixture to screw it into the ceiling, then I am not sure for basking. All the ceramic fixtures I have found I would have to do some wiring and I am not sure how. I could cut a hole in the top and put screen and rest a dome on there?

Help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For the UVB light I'd just cut a hole for the wiring and run it out of that. The ceramic screw fixtures may require a bit of rigging but it shouldn't be too much. Alternatively you could cut away a large area of the top and put mesh down as you mentioned. If you don't have other animals in the house you could even leave it open and suspend a dome fixture above the opening with an adjustable lamp stand so you can adjust the temps. I'd have a browse through the DIY and Enclosures sections for some examples of similar projects which may give you some ideas.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
I was thinking about your lighting question both here and in my thread.

If you purchased a light like mine (posted in my DIY thread), there is a joint between the light and the spike where a simple threaded bolt holds them together. I bet an eye hook and a nut for the other end of the bolt would allow you to mount the fixture on the underside of the top of the enclosure. Either that or a thin piece of wood attached to the underside perpendicular to the lid, with a small hole drilled through and again, a nut for the other side of the bolt. Both would be really cheap options that would allow you to mount the light safely inside the viv.

I will take a picture of what I'm talking about when I get home tonight and draw something up incase I didn't explain my thought process clearly.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Sorry, I meant to do this the other day, but here is an explanation with pictures of what I was trying to get across:

This is the light I purchased from a hardware store:

spikelight.png

Here is the modified base that I had my dad make for me. He cut off the spike part and put in screw holes for mounting:

IMG_0905.jpg

You would need someone who can weld to do this as the spike is steel.

But, barring that, I think it would be relatively simple to take a piece of plywood, maybe 1/2" thick or maybe a little thinner, screw a hole through it big enough for the bolt on the light fixture and attach it to the roof of your enclosure or use a screw eye that's small enough that the head of the bolt can't go through it. I think the wood piece would give you a little more flexibility in directing the fixture though as the teeth on the stem of the fixture would probably bite into the wood a little allowing you to mount it at an angle.

Here is a picture of where and how the bolt attaches:

IMG_0904.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom