Making a basking spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering the positive/negatives of making a Styrofoam basking spot? Also what you'd paint it with? How much would styrofoam would it to make a 2ftx1ft platform with extra parts? I would include the parts I have at the moment a cork hide and a branch, maybe to go around her water bowl too. I don't want it to take up the whole of her viv but to be a good size. Does anyone have a picture of theirs or some else's?

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Most likely a single sheet of polystyrene(Styrofoam) will be plenty, since they come in 4' x 8' for pretty cheap, and then you can cut the pieces you need out of it. Most people cover the polystrene with grout (like is used for installing tile) which comes in lots of natural colours and can also be tinted with acrylic paint, and then seal it with something like mod podge. You can also get sanded grout, which will give a nice rough texture for your dragon to grip, but may be slightly more difficult to clean.

Do a quick google image search of 'vivarium 3D background' and you will get lots of great ideas and inspiration.

BertieTheBeardie

Original Poster
quyllur":dxtbymgg said:
Most likely a single sheet of polystyrene(Styrofoam) will be plenty, since they come in 4' x 8' for pretty cheap, and then you can cut the pieces you need out of it. Most people cover the polystrene with grout (like is used for installing tile) which comes in lots of natural colours and can also be tinted with acrylic paint, and then seal it with something like mod podge. You can also get sanded grout, which will give a nice rough texture for your dragon to grip, but may be slightly more difficult to clean.

Do a quick google image search of 'vivarium 3D background' and you will get lots of great ideas and inspiration.
Ok thank you! I'll try to order it as cheap as possible with best quality, I also saw someone did a maleficant inspired one and it was insaine! I don't think I'll do one as complicated though

JRevenall

BertieTheBeardie":1ivygoqs said:
quyllur":1ivygoqs said:

Ok thank you! I'll try to order it as cheap as possible with best quality, I also saw someone did a maleficant inspired one and it was insaine! I don't think I'll do one as complicated though

May be a little late but Lowes sells 18"x3'x1" styrofoam in a pack of 5 sheets for 8 bucks. May be more than you need but cant beat the size and price. I think its fun building them , even tried to sell them but there isnt a big market for them.Wal-Mart sells non toxic acrylic paint as well as the Mod Podge for color and sealer too

quyllur":3otmln2a said:

Hello, I'm interested in eventually making a basking spot. I was just wondering if the materials you listed are save for beardies? Like the mod podge (honestly I don't even know what that is D:) I don't know much about the materials or crafting things. Would the styrofoam without the sanded grout be easy to clean?

quyllur

Hatchling Member
I believe the unsanded grout has a smooth finish. Once sealed with the mod podge it should be very easy to clean.

The styrofoam, grout, and mod podge or alternate sealant materials used for making 3D backgrounds is time tested. People with lizards, both arid and tropical natives, and aquarium keepers have been using these things for many years.

Mod podge is a sealing material. It looks a bit like glue and can be painted on to give a smooth surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom