DIY Viv UVB Light suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy! I recently endeavored to build my own enclosure and I need to update my UV light fixture to accommodate. I'm transitioning my juvenile from a 20 long (which lasted him all of a month) to a cabinet-turned-viv that is the equivalent of about 90 gallons. I want to get a single (or double) open fluorescent fixture that I can run the length of the terrarium instead of the hood-type fixture I have now, but I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to search for the right thing. Any suggestions on the best place to purchase one? The dimensions are ~47" L x 24" H x 18" D.

Thanks in advance!

aby00marie

Original Poster
quyllur":2bj5yc2u said:
Are you using a T5HO bulb or a T8 bulb?

Definitely T5HO based on the height of the viv. I'm really just trying to find the best place to buy the strip lighting fixture.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
I bought a Sunblaster fixture from a gardening/landscaping supply store.

This should give you a start http://www.sunblasterlighting.com/distributors/

Both stores I've seen them in were not on the list of distributors though, so I would start with any local garden stores.

I should add, they are very low profile, come with hanging hardware and an extension to daisy chain if you want more than one light.

aby00marie

Original Poster
That's helpful! I've been trying to discern which fixtures are compatible with T5 bulbs since some don't explicitly state on the packaging. I hadn't thought to check out gardening depts for indoor growing though.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Sunblasters are available on Amazon. The easiest way it to pick bulbs is match the wattage for the fixture to the bulb. Lengths can get confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom