Looking for input

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRevenall

86403-5581616359.jpg
Hey: I started building my own décor with the exception of food and water dishes with polystyrene and so far I've done a decent job, built a small basking area and a few other things but I ran into a problem.... I'm not very creative haha I build them well but when it comes to colors and realistic looks I fall flat so tell me what would you do with this as far as paint scheme I know it may be a little dark to start but I like this base color

86403-228840295.jpg

GoneForLunch

Hatchling Member
Somewhat off topic of what you're asking, but what are you using to build the custom decor? I was interested in starting and i'm curious what you used.

Colors for that beautiful piece could be almost a grimy castle look. Cut some "vine" template out of paper or cardboard and maybe make it look like a castle with grime and vines covering it. Maybe a have some different areas with varying colors of grey/black with some dark green vegetation. Just a thought.
https://dncache-mauganscorp.netdna-ssl.com/thumbseg/2046/2046963-bigthumbnail.jpg

This one is a game it looks like, but shows what I meant rather well.
https://slm-assets0.secondlife.com/assets/1262537/lightbox/6f3dbf7965f47c440c2f131b81ab3d4a.jpg?1277211959

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe take some sort of porous surface, like a makeup sponge, dip into a paint coloring like a darker shade of grey or a brown or even a dark green to kind of give it a dirty/grungy look.

GoneForLunch, There is a article to the right of the page underneath 'DIY and Other Information" titled 'Building A False Rock Enclosure' that is worth reading!

JRevenall

Original Poster
GoneForLunch":2aydu7uc said:
Somewhat off topic of what you're asking, but what are you using to build the custom decor? I was interested in starting and i'm curious what you used.

Colors for that beautiful piece could be almost a grimy castle look. Cut some "vine" template out of paper or cardboard and maybe make it look like a castle with grime and vines covering it. Maybe a have some different areas with varying colors of grey/black with some dark green vegetation. Just a thought.
https://dncache-mauganscorp.netdna-ssl.com/thumbseg/2046/2046963-bigthumbnail.jpg

This one is a game it looks like, but shows what I meant rather well.
https://slm-assets0.secondlife.com/assets/1262537/lightbox/6f3dbf7965f47c440c2f131b81ab3d4a.jpg?1277211959
The polystyrene I use is found at Lowes, its 8 bucks for 5 sheets that are 3'x13"x3/4", sanded grout but lots of people prefer the non-sanded , I like the sanded because of the surface it creates. Non toxic acrylic paint from Wal-Mart and Mod Podge to seal. The most expensive thing is the grout but its tons of fun building the stuff and save so much money not buying the crap the big box stores sell

JRevenall

Original Poster
86403-540644313.jpg
86403-2102815090.jpg
Tried to go with the creepy look, still have a few plants to attach and seal but pretty happy with it. Pics don't do justice to the details. Thanks for the input guys

GoneForLunch

Hatchling Member
I can see from the pics, at least some, what you did. I think it looks awesome! it's coming out pretty much exactly like I imagined. I'm pleased with the look and I'm glad you are too!

JRevenall

Original Poster
GoneForLunch":1lvlh2le said:
I can see from the pics, at least some, what you did. I think it looks awesome! it's coming out pretty much exactly like I imagined. I'm pleased with the look and I'm glad you are too!

Thanks ! I tried to put depth with different colors but I'm not an artist by any means . I love doing this so I'm trying to sell to support a hobby that's fun. Disclosure I am not trying to sell on this website because I know there is a fee to use the buy and sell feature !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom