New DIY Crossfire build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMac

We are in the process of building a new home for our bearded dragon named Cortez. Decided to build one of the crossfire enclosures using oak as the material instead of melamine.

We let our 10 year old son pick out the tile to use for the bottom of the enclosure and then got to work this Saturday. Unfortunately, Lowe's did not have any type of track for the doors, so that will be put off until next weekend.

86663-5676221736.jpg

86663-3240466183.jpg

86663-7297939867.jpg

86663-5578960860.jpg

Going to attempt to build custom "rock" walls using foam board. Aiming for something similar to the pic below but different color scheme as my son wants to pick the colors himself...... :lol:

86663-2747652927.jpg

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Looks like you used the "Mesa:Beige" color from lowes, am I correct? I use both that color and the "Mesa:Rust" for a contrast :)

DrMac

Original Poster
HKzForDayz":1c81alhf said:
Looks like you used the "Mesa:Beige" color from lowes, am I correct? I use both that color and the "Mesa:Rust" for a contrast :)

That is just a pic of what we are going to try and build for the walls. I just grabbed it online as an example, so I have no idea what the color is....... :)

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
DrMac":2tcpd6u2 said:
HKzForDayz":2tcpd6u2 said:

That is just a pic of what we are going to try and build for the walls. I just grabbed it online as an example, so I have no idea what the color is....... :)
I was referring to the tile :)

DrMac

Original Poster
HKzForDayz":3vaogue0 said:
DrMac":3vaogue0 said:
HKzForDayz":3vaogue0 said:

I was referring to the tile :)

LOL......in that case...... it is Rialto Beige.

DrMac

Original Poster
We got a few more things done with the new Crossfire enclosure this weekend. Tile cut and put into place, track installed and framing for the front of enclosure put on. Only thing left to order is the plexiglass doors.

We also got the styrofoam walls for the enclosure put together. First coat of grout will go on either tonight or tomorrow. Hoping to have it all done and ready to put in the enclosure in the next two weeks.

86663-4731841399.jpg

86663-2984864512.jpg

DrMac

Original Poster
86663-1341760364.jpg

Been a few weeks, but finally got around to putting the "rock" walls in today.

Learned the hard way that we shouldn't have completely put the enclosure all the way together until we had put in the walls.

Ended up having to cut the back wall in half to get it into the enclosure. Now I have to spend a few days patching up the walls where the seams are and should be ready to put on the doors mid-week........(SIGH)

ruben0311

Juvie Member
you may actually like having the walls easier to remove in case you need to do a deep clean on them. I would look into keeping that break and just sealing the exposed edges so it doesn't degrade. looks awesome though, great work and your son looks super amped

DrMac

Original Poster
Forgot to post pics with Cortez in his new home.

We are still working on a new basking platform, but here are a few pics of his first time in his new mansion.

86663-2615980092.jpg

86663-442881552.jpg

86663-19620732.jpg

86663-6160715455.jpg

SDragons

Juvie Member
Awesome project for you and your son. I love his HUGE smile in every photo. Great memories for both of you.

Your tank looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom