Building my first enclosure. Basic questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derz13

Ok. I feel like there are hundreds of these posts but I can't seem to find a definitive answer for most questions. My main concern for everything is the safety of my dragon and it seems to be the toughest part for me as I am super apprehensive about buying products unless I know for sure that direct contact, fumes (after being cured), and also with semi-extreme temperatures. Do most products and sealants withstand temperatures above 100 degrees Fahrenheit? I plan on getting most of my supplies at Home Depot and possibly WalMart

My enclosure will be 4'L x 2'W x 2'H for my 11-month old beardie, Benjii. It will be made with Red Oak Plywood. I am seeing a general forum consent to using "Minwax Polyurethane" I have found a "satin, fast-drying formula"
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-1-qt-Satin-Fast-Drying-Polyurethane-63010/100201939

I plan on staining the wood before applying the poly finish. This is something I am not sure on product wise. What are some stain brands you guys have used for your enclosures?

Also. I will be building a fake rock background for the back and sides of the enclosure. I will be using polystyrene and I would like to use an expanding foam to fill in some spots and create more depth. I found a product called "Great Stuff" ( GREAT STUFF 16 oz. Gaps and Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant-162848 - The Home Depot) Has anyone used this before or does anyone know if it is or isn't safe? The rock needs to be covered in a few layers of grout, I have heard sanded grout is good to use due to its texture. I have found this product "Simple Grout" from "Custom Building Products" ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Build ... /100676314 ) It says pre-mixed so I assume it is already mixed with the liquid, is this okay to use?? And lastly for the faux rock..Sealant. Polyurethane again? I want something that will hold up and knowing my Benjii..he will poop on his rocks at some point. So something that will make it easy to clean. I will most likely be using clorhexidine as a disinfectant for his enclosure. It is what we used at the Vet I worked at.
Has anyone ever had any problems with the high temps on the foam? I plan on making one of his basking spots a rock sticking from the background that will reach a temp of 110 degrees F. Is this going to be okay?

(I know this is very long thanks for continuing!)

What sealers should I use for the edges and corners? an Aquarium safe sealant I suppose?

Lastly! PLANTS! To liven up the decor. I cannot use fake plants as Benjii tried to eat them last time I went to put them in his cage (The man loves his veggies). I plan on putting a basking lamp, reptisun 10.0 UVB lamp, and most likely some kind of household lamp to light up the other side of his enclosure. Will this be sufficient lighting for plants to survive. I would like to add Wheatgrass, Collard greens, Clover, Mustard, and possibly basil. Maybe some or all depending on what I can find. Any thoughts/past experiences with any of these?

I think that should cover my concerns for now. THANK YOU!! anything helps! :D :D :D :D

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have used minwax polyurethane and of the two cages I've built it holds up the best, and I'm really pleased with it. I wouldn't use the acrylic version again. Some folks worry about the chemicals in it (as far as I know all the nasty stuff is basically gone once it's cured) but If you want something more inert two part epoxies are a good but expensive route. (pondsheild) I've only stained the outside of the enclosure - used minwax products.

Great stuff is well... Great stuff. The thicker it is the longer it takes to cure, so make sure it's hardened all the way through before grouting or your grout will crack.

I used polyurethane on my foam/grout structures. Mod podge is popular but it's not waterproof and I was really displeased with how it held up.

Premixed grout will probably be an awkward consistency to work with. For the fake rocks usually more water is added to the grout than would be added for tiling. The premixed grout I've used for tiling is sort of like crumbly frosting consistency whereas I like it more like pudding for rock walls.

110F isn't too high for polystyrene. One thing to note is that it won't conduct heat like real stone - due to the insulation. This may be a pro or a con. I like how real stone absorbs and conducts heat but fake rocks are way lighter and customizable.

Aquarium grade silicone is your safest bet. I use 100% Sillicone from GE, I've read fish tank builders use this too.

I have had to get supplemental lights for plants but my enclosure is taller. Keeping the light about 10-12" from the plants did ok for greens, but I haven't had luck keeping clover or wheatgrass just to keep in mind the plants you listed will need bright lights and watered daily. LEDs may be useful for more light without much heat.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
Hey just a tip for the plants... they are gonna get devoured!!!! grass may do fine inside. a suggestion would be to have a few in planters that you can swap out with those inside the viv in order to let them grow and stay alive between switches. your buddy will more than likely try and dig up the roots so having them in separate containers will help to ensure they don't easily get uprooted. aquarium silicone will do nicely for corners and will ensure you dont miss anything. Great stuff is awesome to use just make sure that you give it a good amount of time to dry as the thicker it's layed the longer it takes.

RebeccaS

I used general finishes water based stain for the outside of the enclosure I'm currently building. I was pretty solid on only using waterbased anything for it.
After dealing with loads of bleed through using polyacrylic, i highly recommend using a spray finish (they make spray polyacrylic) for the first layer if you can. Brushing it on just pulls all that stain right up into the poly layer. I avoided staining anything on the inside just to be super safe and because i loved the color of the natural wood.

Derz13

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

I feel more comfortable using the Minwax Polyurethane now. I was very worried about the constant high temps that will be hitting the sealant. But it seems like everyone is using this stuff without a hassle so. CHECK!

Great stuff for expanding foam. CHECK!

Red oak wood. CHECK!

Plain ol' powder grout and polystyrene. CHECK!

100% Aquarium grade silicone. CHECK!

I will be using tiles as the substrate. But because I wanted to give Benj a place to dig/burrow, I have decided to take 5-6in. off of his cage (height-wise) as an "underground cave". So basically..lets see if I can explain this correctly. His cage is 24in. high. adding an insert 5-6in. high into the cage sitting on the floor, with a hole on either side for him to go down to the sand. This will leave 18-19in. high in the top portion, which will have tile on the floor. and the bottom portion (5-6in.) will be filled with a sand mixture.
83549-7021990288.jpg
The bottom frame will have glass as well so you can see through it and watch him dig around. I am adding two large holes on both sides of the wood so he can go down into his cage and also hoping that it will give a little more airflow. Any suggestions on how to better air out the bottom sand "cave" I dont want mildew or weird organisms to be growing under there!!!

Derz13

Original Poster
Thank you!

Yea I figured he would munch on them but that's okay ! I plan on adding pots into a premade pot-shaped dip in my fake rock structure and then covering the top soil with rocks so he doesn't try to dig it up...hopefully that works.!
Wheat grass seems like the easiest and fastest to grow out so I will keep a couple extra to switch out. But that is a pretty good idea, switch out the planters and let the ones hes munched on regrow as a replacement is in his tank! thank you!

Derz13":wyvmduoa said:
Thanks guys!

I feel more comfortable using the Minwax Polyurethane now. I was very worried about the constant high temps that will be hitting the sealant. But it seems like everyone is using this stuff without a hassle so. CHECK!

Great stuff for expanding foam. CHECK!

Red oak wood. CHECK!

Plain ol' powder grout and polystyrene. CHECK!

100% Aquarium grade silicone. CHECK!

I will be using tiles as the substrate. But because I wanted to give Benj a place to dig/burrow, I have decided to take 5-6in. off of his cage (height-wise) as an "underground cave". So basically..lets see if I can explain this correctly. His cage is 24in. high. adding an insert 5-6in. high into the cage sitting on the floor, with a hole on either side for him to go down to the sand. This will leave 18-19in. high in the top portion, which will have tile on the floor. and the bottom portion (5-6in.) will be filled with a sand mixture.
83549-7021990288.jpg
The bottom frame will have glass as well so you can see through it and watch him dig around. I am adding two large holes on both sides of the wood so he can go down into his cage and also hoping that it will give a little more airflow. Any suggestions on how to better air out the bottom sand "cave" I dont want mildew or weird organisms to be growing under there!!!
I would be hesitant with sand. But since your beardie is 11 months old, go for it! Is that insert removeable in case he gets stuck or it needs cleaning?? Good luck on your tank!

Derz13

Original Poster
Thanks for a reply! It would have been removable but I am deciding against it because I am worried about moisture building up in there and bacteria growing since it will be darker than the rest of the tank.

Well maybe you could make it in to a hide instead of filling it up with sand, just support it with small cuts of 1x1 wood blocks in each corner and a small ramp at one of the holes so he can get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom