Building a viv for Prometheus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

So I'm planing on building Prometheus his own terrarium, and decorations
For his decorations, I'm building that DIY hide made from Styrofoam, grout, hot glue, and nontoxic acrylic paint.
But also I wanted to use clay and make ceramic climbing rocks for him, but for the ceramics I wanted to know if the clay would be bad for him? What if I used a glaze, is it okay as long if it is nontoxic?

For his terrarium, I wanted to start from the begging.

I wanted to get tempered glass, and build an idea of mine, but I need help with some of the things going in to this...

I'm going to use an aquarium sealant for the corners.

What else would you recommend for building?

Can anyone give me tips on wiring and lighting so it's not a fire hazard... I'm going to make some sketches soon and post them here.... any help from vets is much appreciated, Thanks!!! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I think kiln fired stoneware clay and glaze is generally safe - I couldn't say for certain as I've not really looked into it. I'd be comfortable using food grade stuff in a viv.

If you have a sketch of your idea I might be able to help with some ideas for building it.

For my cage I wired the lights to boxes with wall switches and used electrical nuts to join them. Each basking light is on a separate dimmer and all three are wired together to a grounded plug. The florecent lights are daisy chained together and use the original wires and plugs.

Prometheus

Original Poster
So I have some 3D designs set up, and their not so pretty as it's my first time using 3D software, but you can get an idea.
The yellow in the pictures is the lights, the brown, my bases, the light blue is the glass.

So here are my first two design ideas.

85893-1730582905.jpg
85893-6603100407.jpg
85893-2751970981.jpg
85893-3422463196.jpg
This was my first idea, again, not very pretty, first time using 3d software

85893-6445669164.jpg
85893-7521346449.jpg
85893-8072334281.jpg
85893-2155152895.jpg
This is my second idea, the black on the back are vent holes.

Any and all advice is appreceated, thank you very much

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Is the brown area furniture... or would that be space for the lizard? What is the scale? Depending on how big it is that could make for a very interesting display cage!

The lights are best off overhead and together. Try to replicate the sun as much as you can in that respect. You can, of course, add additional lighting but the main heat and UV source should be basically shining from the same area.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't mount the UVB on it's side. The lighting should be overhead because dragons do best with managing/self regulating heat and light coming from above (like the sun). It's also best to put them together as Taterbug mentioned. You'll want to design it around distance so there is a basking area/platform about 12'' below a T5 UVB tube and it's right next to a bright white light/heat source which produces about 100-105 over the area. This can be controlled by a dimming thermostat if the height of the light is fixed. It can also be higher up than the UVB light as long as you have the temps in check. This can also be achieved by multiple smaller bulbs creating a wider basking area. You can install secondary basking areas that are just heat and no UVB and it's also a good idea to have cooler/shady areas with no UVB. Having a nice variety will help foster self regulation and movement.

Prometheus

Original Poster
Currently, I'm unable to get the dimensions as I have no ride to my grandmothers to get them, but as soon as I am able to get them, I will. Also I'm working on two more design ideas that I will post here.

I appreciate all the advice and will keep that in mind when designing the next two cages.

Prometheus

Original Poster
So I have a third Idea for the viv... tell me what you think.
85893-9274176238.jpg
85893-2888878966.jpg
85893-3771254211.jpg

Also, with the shady areas, there will be lots of hides for him, and plenty of plants to hide under, but again these are just ideas, I can incorporate all ideas with a final image before building a final blueprint... also I should be getting the dimensions sometime today so it'll make the creative process much easier....

Prometheus

Original Poster
i have the dimensions!
L * W * H
40in * 14.5in * 35in
27.5in * 17in * 32in

If any one has any help, or would like tp give ideas now that i have the dimensions, thatd be great, thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The length and height are good. I'd definitely make it wider though. Maybe around 24'' or so wide. I wouldn't go narrower than 18''. With 35'' height you'll also want to be sure to create some platforms and higher basking areas that can get within about 12'' of the T5 UVB for proper exposure.

Prometheus

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1clhwgio said:
The length and height are good. I'd definitely make it wider though. Maybe around 24'' or so wide. I wouldn't go narrower than 18''. With 35'' height you'll also want to be sure to create some platforms and higher basking areas that can get within about 12'' of the T5 UVB for proper exposure.

The measurements are of the dresser I plan on using, I'll be cutting pieces out of the dresser to make it longer, and it will be taller, sadly I don't think I can make it too much wider, without ruining the dresser. I figured if he has more space to climb and run, the width wouldn't matter too much.. Is natural sunlight coming through a window into his viv okay? I heard it wasn't, and if it is, I can cut out the back of the dresser to make it wider and balance better.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it's too narrow it may be difficult to turn around or have a wide enough basking area. Natural sunlight coming in is OK as long as it doesn't produce too much heat (and the temps will vary). Keep in mind it will only provide UVA as the window glass will intercept UVB.

Prometheus

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2f8nz292 said:
If it's too narrow it may be difficult to turn around or have a wide enough basking area. Natural sunlight coming in is OK as long as it doesn't produce too much heat (and the temps will vary). Keep in mind it will only provide UVA as the window glass will intercept UVB.

Okay, when building, I'm going to get a strong UVB light and also his basking light. Now, Im also thinking of a live plant area as well. I want to put different succulents in there or maybe flowers as long as I find ones that are not poisonous to Prometheus. Do you think it would make it too humid inside of the viv or as long as I have good heaters it'd be okay? Also Thank you so much for all the advice! :3

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you have adequate ventilation it should be fine. There are plenty of edible plants you could add such as hibiscus and some tall grasses. Live plants can get trampled easily in an enclosed space though so I wouldn't pick stuff that's too delicate.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
The dresser seems nice. That way they can go back into their enclosure after they are done running around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom