custom enclosure material help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going to be building 2 custom enclosures one for my beardie and one for my python. My question pertains more to the python enclosure but I want to keep the materials for both as close as possible. But anyways I'm going to be using melamine board for the outside and would like to use acrylic for the bottom and front bc its cheaper then glass but idk if it is safe to use for bottom do to me having to use an under tank heater for the python and was wondering if anyone else knew if it would be ok. It would be no hotter then 90 degrees. I will use glass if its the safest. If anyone knows of any other materials I could use for the bottom with a uth please let me know! I'm going to be trying to get this going this holiday weekend. Thank you!!

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
in terms of heat resistance acrylic is good until about 160 degrees farenheight in general but depends on the quality as can vary, it also softens under high heat. You could use polycarbonate as it has higher heat resistance and also a lot stronger than acrylic but does scratch easier and is also more expensive and can yellow over time so might be similar cost to glass. Not sure what the heat transfer will be like through these compared to glass though and if exposed to high heat they can give off fumes especially acrylic. Maybe go into local builders merchants or email some plastics manufacturers and get specifics on the heat resistance etc to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom