Are my building materials safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardy27

Hello all, so like the tittle says I just want to make sure my building materials are not going to harm my beardie. I also would like to know what you guys think it's safer, to paint the inside of plywood or seal it. I don't care about aesthetics. I just want my beardie to be safe. Here's a quick list of things I will be using:

Birch plywood from Home Depot(the columbia pure bond stuff)
Liquid nails heavy duty.
Min wax polycrilic gloss for finish

If painting the inside of plywood, what type of paint do I use?

beardy27

Original Poster
Bumping this with another question. Keeping in mind the temp inside a viv, what sealer for plywood would best withstand the heat inside and still not be toxic? Or would a better option be to use some kind of paint?

TerryG

Thanks for posting this question and the info about the paint you found. I'm also getting ready to build a new enclosure for my Beardie because all the tanks I find that are long enough seem way too narrow.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you, but your information is definitely helpful to me.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your finished enclosure.

beardy27

Original Poster
TerryG":3m7yh5gb said:
Thanks for posting this question and the info about the paint you found. I'm also getting ready to build a new enclosure for my Beardie because all the tanks I find that are long enough seem way too narrow.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you, but your information is definitely helpful to me.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your finished enclosure.
Hey no problem, I am glad I could be of some help to someone. I will update this thread with the finished product when it's done. I plan on starting this weekend . I ordered the paint and I will use that for the inside. The outside will get several coats of the Min wax polycrilic stuff to make it more furniture looking. As far as the columbia pure bond plywood I can't imagine it being harmful after reading info about it. So hopefully it all goes well. If anyone has experience with this plywood feel free to post your thoughts. I chose that type since it's formaldehyde free.

will be using water based polyurethane for sealing my enclosure, but I have seen people using Polycrylic as well. Just make sure you let it fully dry and all the fumes are gone. I have heard a couple weeks in the sun would do it completely. You don't want to put your dragon in danger.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have used polyurethane (solvent based) and polycrylic (water based polyurethane). Polyurethane takes much longer to cure (several weeks) but it by far a more durable finish. The polycrylic sealer doesn't hold up as well to a small amount of water from misting (had to redo it after 6mo) and it is not UV stable so the UV lights can discolor the wood/stain.

It's more expensive but next time I might consider something like a marine epoxy or pond sealant epoxy.

beardy27

Original Poster
jeremy283":3u3g3ux4 said:
Tell me if I'm wrong but just look at MSDS for this. It contains ingredients found in antifreeze. I have yet to find anything else that is cheap that I would trust other than mod podge.

Here is the MSDS http://www.minwax.com/document/MSDS/en/027426655553
Shields all seems to be very popular here and seems to be fairly safe. I have not personally used it yet but I plan on doing so for my next viv. The only thing I dislike about mod podge is that if your beardie has an accident on it and you try to clean it you will remove a lot of it. Mod podge and water/misting don't mix.

beardy27

Original Poster
Finally got enough time on my hands to finish my enclosure. Here are some pics, as you can tell by the second pic I fabricated some brackets to mount the reptisun hood inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom