DIY Cage Made From Pallets! Pics up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo3034

Hey everyone I'm Stephen I'm new to this fourm and I just wanted to post my new cage I built for my guy jax! I had him in a 55 gallon since he was about 3-4 In long. I share a basement with my little brother and have plenty of room and I wanted to build something bigger for him. So I am unemployed at the moment but I wanted the cage now! I used to work at petco and once a week we had truck come it with all the pallets and loaded with merchandise. I started to collect the pallets due to he fact that my dad wanted them. So anyways beside the fact I didn't wanna spent much money at all, so I decided to build it out of the pallets. The tank is 4 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 32 inches tall with the inside being right around 24 inches.

Everything I used
-Table saw
-Jig saw
-Tape Measure
-Saw horses
-Dremwell tool
-Sander
-Hammer
-Pry bar

Materials
-about 5 pallets
-A sheet of 4 ply, ply wood 4x8ft
-About 4 (1x4x8) *For Trim*
-Misc. screws I could find
-2 big hinges I found in my barn
-2ft wide metal mesh

I started off by tearing apart the pallets by cutting some with the jig saw, and ripping some apart by hammers. After pulling one apart I would pull all the nails out of the wood from the pallets. Once all the pallets where apart and had no nails I began some construction. I used the main 2x4 that are in the center of the pallet for my base. Since they are already 4 feet long I had my front and back,then just cut 3 of them down to 3ft. Lined them all up and screwed them into the a rectangle. If you decide to make your cage out of pallets its extremely important to pre drill all holes making sure none of the wood will split!!!! After making the base I decided on the height of the tank to be 30in high I used all the wood from the pallets and cut them to 30 inches then sanded them all down real good, making sure they where generally clean and no sharp splinters or anything, these will be used for the walls. After I had them all to the point they would fit around the two sides and back I made the top Frame. By using more of the 2x4s from the center of the pallets I ran them through the table saw ripping them at 1 and 1/2 of a inch that way the top Frame did not weigh as much as the bottom. Then I just created another 4x3ft Frame. So now that I have all the siding cut and sanded, and the base and top frames made its time to attach all the siding by screwing it into the base then the top. I got the hole back and one side screwed into the bottom before I lifted the top frame and started to screw that in. Once you get all that screwed in and set you basically have your cage. You just need a front and the top. The 4x8 piece of ply wood I bought, I had them cut into two 4x3 foot sections witch left over a 4x2 foot section that fit almost perfect in the front. With the other 4x3 foot section of ply wood I took a five gallon bucket and traced a circle where I wanted his heat lamp. Then on the other side I cut out a rectangle for his uvb bulbs (both cut wit the jigsaw).I wanted to build the lights into the top of the cage but I already had both the heat lamp and uvb strip so might as well used them to save money. That being said I moved on to sliding the floor in (one of the 4x3 sections) and drilled that in. Moved up to the top and did the same to the cage top(for both open sections on this piece I cut the wire mesh and stapled underneath the openings) . Now that I had the walls screwed in, the floor, and top it was time to put on trim work. For the trim I just used the 1x4x8 pieces and cut them how I decided to do the trim work. Now that all the trim work is screwed on it was time to figure out what I wanted to do about the front the front I kinda messed up on because I wasn't really sure what I wanted. I ended up just sliding in that last piece of 4x2 foot section of ply wood into the front it was a tight fit so it stood in there on its own. I started to work the trim up the front then just screwed that front section into the face plate. Once I got it down stairs that's when I put the plexi glass in(if using plexi glass always predrill and never take the protective film off untile you are sure you know how it will fit and that's how you want it) Now its all complete I put two hinges on the back that attach to the top that way I can open it from the top, with a little finger latch for me to hold onto to lift it.

I appreciate everyone who reads this! Feel free to comment and ask questions I will answer anything anyone is wondering. This is my first time ever posting on a forum so forgive me if the post is a little lousy I am trying to figure out the format and how to work everything out! :)
64836-7224429259.jpg
64836-2418300296.jpg
64836-1816212461.jpg
64836-1690851292.jpg
64836-9934132159.jpg
64836-6593424734.jpg
64836-4579787203.jpg
64836-3822357608.jpg
64836-3025455210.jpg
64836-4318866069.jpg
64836-6127354405.jpg

stevo3034

Original Poster
Well I'll have to wait till I get home to upload the pictures I can't figure it out from my phone lol

genskiR6

That came out pretty awesome! Mine came out really nice but was super expensive lol. The Hubby was not very happy about my Home Depot bill lol. Great job dude! Looks fantastic.

The picture thing is kind of annoying. It's a known bug on here. You have to fix it on your computer. I'll open the picture, click edit, and rotate it all the way around once, then save it, upload it after that and it should be good. It's really weird.

stevo3034

Original Poster
genskiR6":8z8ksa6n said:
That came out pretty awesome! Mine came out really nice but was super expensive lol. The Hubby was not very happy about my Home Depot bill lol. Great job dude! Looks fantastic.

The picture thing is kind of annoying. It's a known bug on here. You have to fix it on your computer. I'll open the picture, click edit, and rotate it all the way around once, then save it, upload it after that and it should be good. It's really weird.
Thanks! My total bill was like 75$ most likely maybe a little cheaper and thanks for the tip on the pics!

genskiR6

$75! Holy crap! You should start selling them then. Mine was a bit more than $400 but I went pretty much all out. I'm going to make my next one like this lol. It's like kids. The first one you go all out for and then the next, you're feeding them food that fell on the floor.

stevo3034

Original Poster
genskiR6":1eeemo13 said:
$75! Holy crap! You should start selling them then. Mine was a bit more than $400 but I went pretty much all out. I'm going to make my next one like this lol. It's like kids. The first one you go all out for and then the next, you're feeding them food that fell on the floor.
Haha Well I'm glad I was the first child then! And yes just look for pallets behind stores and stuff then start to collect them free wood that you can do so much with.

stevo3034

Original Poster
EightFingers":2meh2mht said:
Had to sign in and say this is amazing!

How do you keep the sides flush so there are not holes? Did you seal it?
Thanks so much! And I just lined them all up so there are small gaps between each piece of wood, so I didn't have to cut ventilation holes.

Haku3

Wow, amazing job..the tank looks great! I love the look of the tank, kind of looks like a small house for your beardie. I've been looking for a very cheap way to build my beardie a bigger tank and I think I found it! Thanks so much for posting this, I will definitely use this information :)

stevo3034

Original Poster
Haku3":z60zwh0w said:
Wow, amazing job..the tank looks great! I love the look of the tank, kind of looks like a small house for your beardie. I've been looking for a very cheap way to build my beardie a bigger tank and I think I found it! Thanks so much for posting this, I will definitely use this information :)
Thanks and if you are referring to the cage being to small its three times bigger then a 55 gallon tank. But yes this is a very affordable cage to make! And so many ways to make it out of these pallets.

genskiR6

stevo3034":z0ycal4t said:
Haku3":z0ycal4t said:
Thanks and if you are referring to the cage being to small its three times bigger then a 55 gallon tank. But yes this is a very affordable cage to make! And so many ways to make it out of these pallets.

I don't think he means it's small. Pretty sure he means "small house" like, "Hey, your 18 bedroom mansion is too small for your three person family." And the wood makes it actually look like a house.

Haku3

genskiR6":10u583i6 said:
stevo3034":10u583i6 said:
Haku3":10u583i6 said:

I don't think he means it's small. Pretty sure he means "small house" like, "Hey, your 18 bedroom mansion is too small for your three person family." And the wood makes it actually look like a house.

Yeah, I did mean that, sorry for the confusion Stevo

stevo3034

Original Poster
Haku3":mpntbkih said:
genskiR6":mpntbkih said:
stevo3034":mpntbkih said:
Haku3":mpntbkih said:

Yeah, I did mean that, sorry for the confusion Stevo
It's no problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom