Sealant Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akglesing

So I've been working on a new tank for Doug these past few weeks, and I have practically everything sealed, yet I realized there are a few spots that haven't been (mainly undersides of things like ledges etc.) and I was wondering if that would really cause any problems or not. It's sanded grout that I'm sealing, and it's about 5 layers of grout to what wasn't sealed with Mod Podge is pretty solid anyway. I've been looking things up online and I can't see what sealant is even for besides waterproofing.

Here's how it's looks:
tank.jpg

And here is the man himself Doug enjoying it (these were taken before sealing btw):
tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg

YurisMom

I too have undertaken the same project, and this is an excerpt from a website I found when I was making mine:
"You definitely want to seal the grout. You don't want the lizard ingesting particles from the grout. The sealant also makes your life much much easier, as it is the sealer that enables you to clean a pet's poop out of the reptile habitat very easily and without eroding the grout structure. Without the sealant you would eventually wear the grout down to the polystyrene."

I also would think that when you spray the habitat for him to drink the water droplets, the water would run down to the bottom of those areas where it isn't sealed, giving a greater chance that he would ingest some grout particles.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom