What about the outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sedjet

Juvie Member
Hiei is going to get a new enclosure soon and my mom and I are trying to decide what type to get him. I'm very short, so I would prefer building a front opening one because it would be much easier on me to clean and get in. Mom wants to get an aquarium and try to find a low stand. The enclosure is going in the living room so Mom wants it to look nice outside and inside. One or both sides will be visible depending on where we put it and guests would see them. Mom doesn't want just plain white sides showing so I'm looking for some options that I can show her where the sides look nice. I've tried Google but I can't find any pictures of the sides of the enclosures that aren't plain white. Does anyone have any pictures of their enclosures where the sides are painted or stained nice that I can show her?
Also, she's worried with a wood cage about poop. We feed Hiei hornworms watermelon and other treats occasionally that make him poop extra liquid sometimes. Mom is worried about this damaging the wood or starting to smell after awhile. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a way to avoid it?

SukiLove

Juvie Member
There are plenty of beautiful melamine cages that people build. You could always create some sort of rock wall for the back of the cage to give it more depth and beauty. Here is a site that can give you some ideas with that. http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/

For the poop issue, I would suggest using some sort of substrate to protect the bottom. Tile works great and is easy to clean and will not let the poop absorb into the wood. :D

Sedjet

Juvie Member
Original Poster
For the inside I'm going to get my camera and take some pictures to make a background for him. What I need spruce up is the outside of the panels. The only pictures I can find of those are all plain white which my mom thinks would look bad in the living room.

I was thinking tile myself or possibly a piece of linoleum flooring. I did wonder about grout for the tile and if it would hold up well?

SukiLove

Juvie Member
What if you did crown moulding to spruce up the outside? Make it look more like fancy cabinetry maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom