DIY enclosure questions Is 18" high enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhawk

Ok so I'm looking at building some stack able enclosures. My first idea was 24" tall but after drawing it out I see I'm wasting a good bit of head space. So I started thinking maybe 18" tall and that would give me 1 more enclosure in total.

Currently I have 40g breeders so I know 18" will work for the dragon but with the breeders I have the lights on the out side of the tank. My dragons climb up to their basking spot to get about 6"-10" from the heat lamp so I know they can get closer it give them self more heat.

But my issue is moving the lights inside the tanks means the dragons will be 12"-14" from the light while on the bottom of the tank. This will not give them room to climb. I could mount the light on the end so it shines at a 45 degree angle but this will also make the light less effective.

Also I see some people have built their enclosures out of wood I assume you are painting the side to make it water resistant and make clean up easier.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
In my opinion, no.

Take into account the space the lights use as well as the safe distances and what uv light you plan to use... I found that most hallogen bulbs I have tried need about 12"+ distance to be free from hotspots (and the risk of thermal burns that creates) then 6-8" for the bulb and fixture....mounting lights on angles should be done carefully so that the lizard won't be inclined to look into the light bulb.

Besides all that, Dragons will use vertical space if you provide it (they are considered semi-arboreal). It gives them a good opportunity for exersize and enrichment to have more than just a flat floor in a box.

I have a viv sealed with polyurethane and one with polycrilic (dont like it as much but cures quicker). Others use yacht varnish or epoxy resin.

warhawk

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about it over the weekend and I came to the same thing I better do it 24" and not worry about trying to get a extra tank on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom