How to trim/shorten your Beardies nails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayceeBuddy67

Juvie Member
What you need is:
A bearded dragon (of course)
Nail clippers (optional)
Nail file (optional)
Sand paper (optional)
You will need to choose nail clippers, a nail file or sand paper.

I chose a nail file.

81651-3981821276.jpg

1. Grab the nail file or sand paper.

2.Start rubbing it gently against your Beardies nails on one hand.

81651-9152435585.jpg

If you have nail clippers only do the very very tip. DO NOT GET ANY CLOSER, JUST DO THE VERY TIP!!!! BE CAREFUL!

3.Now do all other three feet carefully.

I hope this helped! Note: be as careful as you can, do not hurt them!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good writeup. I usually recommend gently pulling the clippers along the back of the nail moving toward the tip until it catches (where the tip of the nail meets the base of the nail) then you can clip safely. I also keep some corn starch on hand just in case a nick happens. This will help halt bleeding.

GiseleC

Hatchling Member
how do you kow when it is time for a trim? i mean our beardies nails seem long and sharp to me but i dont have any experience to reference that to (Snakes and fish never need their nails trimmed ;))

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd usually cut the nails when I start getting painful scratches while handling them. If I saw them get their nails stuck in the carpet they'd get trimmed as well. Don't want to do it too often though because they do need their nails to climb which is important to them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My boys would draw a little blood climbing around on my arms when it was time for a trim or file down =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom