custom viv build

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty879

Hi guys and girls new to his forum but not new to bearded dragons as i had 3 of the little beauties about 3 years ago, ii have just started building my own viv as a result of going to local pet store with the family when the little boy spotted some baby barded dragons. so as you do I said ok we will get one... I joined this forum to refresdh my memory abit before i got one and spotted some custom viv build thread's and decided to build one myself.
The day after I went to my local diy store and brought some timber and built a viv which is 41inch wide 17inch deep and I think 21 inches high, it is a wooden frame which i then added MDF sheet all around i then sealed all the inside edges and began with the background.
I forgot to take pictures of the frame and foam as I was doing it so this is after the foam was done.

After ii took this pic I decided to add abit more expanding foam( the green stuff) the whit stuff is polystyrene which I won't use next time as it hgets messy when cutting and breaking bits off lol after all the foam was done again!

I started layering on the grout and now I am just waiting for it to dry then decide whether to paint or justs seal it up, as I will be adding a big log and some plants in there to. Feedback is welcome and apreciated , thanks for reading. Scott

Elliot2012

Hey Scott!

It looks great so far! My only suggestion would be to have a larger basking spot for the Beardie to lay on. Other than that, Im sure he/she will love it!

Kurtis

scotty879

Original Poster
Well my plan is to get a biggish log that will provide a basking spot and access to some high reach shelves :) thanks for your input though

Elliot2012

scotty879":3l239c0t said:
Well my plan is to get a biggish log that will provide a basking spot and access to some high reach shelves :) thanks for your input though

Awesome! Cant wait to see it when it is done.

scotty879

Original Poster
Been out today and got some mod podge will 2x 8 fl oz bottles be enough?

On another note I forgot to mention I live in the UK so not sure if dimensions and weights etcetera is the same, also I went and fetched some logs from the woods, very convenient for me living right by a forestry, always loose logs lying around to take you're pick, I have already carved out two smaller logs for display purposes and will do the bigger basking log tomorrow but would like some tips on preserving them. Now I used to own a bonsai tree wich I carved out half into dead wood style and to preserve that I would use a citrus bleech but unsure if that would be safe for beardies, note I would be washing the wood after bleech then varnishing and sealing with mod podge..... Would this be ok ?

scotty879

Original Poster
So carved out big log today still needs sanding though, but I'm here to ask now for help on position. I have moved it around a lot and these three positions are the best I can get (pics below) I think the last pic is the one but just wondering which way you think is best.

scotty879

Original Poster
Hey update and a rant lol. So finished the enclosure took the big log out as seemed abit cramped put a makeshift shelf in using bogwood seen in pic, added added a bit of foliage, not bothered painting the outside as this is tempory until I can build a 5x2x2 viv despite what the missus says that will happen lol now my bd's male and female very bueatiful as are all bd's they are both two years old can be seen hanging on the rock wall to left and right of the enclosur. Took them both to the vets today for a checkup as I only got them last week and I take all new pets straight to the vets anyway I'm very disappointed and glad that I got them when I did as the previous owner didnt look after them properly... so I went to fetch them and the enclosure large as it was didn't have any way of checking temprature , was using a 5.0 uvb bulb and had live food just left in with the bd's also no basking spot and very little climbing/ hiding spots for the bd's, this was just observations and after going to the vets I found out there calcium levels are low and the female has kidney problems :( treatment for her starts tomorrow and the male will be having a bloodtest Monday as its possible he has the same problems because they we're housed together so was on the same diet and same temps etc I am glad I got them when I did as now they will start to get better fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom