Need some advice with a DIY tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonmamma69

Ok so I have this crazy idea to make a tank out of an old dresser (I have 2 I can choose from atm) and I'm still sort of stuck on the lighting. I have a document saved on my comp for how to make the insides and whatnot and I'm also thinking of putting vents on the upper sides of the tank.

Anyway back to the lighting... I don't know if I should cut out a hole in the top of the dresser and just place the heatlamp I currently have on top, or if I could somehow attach the lighting to the underside of the top of the dresser. I have looked at hardware stores and they only have the electrical socket things, nothing battery or plug in powered. So I don't know where I would get a socket like that anyway.

Please, no rude or unnecessarily OVER-critical comments I just need some friendly advice. Thank you.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What are the dimensions of the dresser? It will depend on he height you have and the your preference for where you want to have the lighting.

If you don't mind the hole in top and the lamp up there is might be simplest to do that. You could mount the UVB on the ceiling.

You can also wire up the ceiling mounted sockets pretty easy, I'm not sure where you'd find a pre wired one.

Dragonmamma69

Original Poster
Not entirely sure on the dimensions of the dressers, I haven't actually measured them yet. Was working on stripping them down first and painting them. I don't know if I like the idea of putting a hole on the top of the dresser but if I have to then I'll do it.

blindside

use one of the ceramic light sockets from hardware store and power it with a extension cord just cut the end off and strip the wires and attach it to the socket. google crossfire vivarium and you should be able to see what i mean. goes over the whole process of making a homemade viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom