outside viv ideas please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazuzu

I am thinking of making an area in my back yard for my dragon to use this summer but I am new to the beardie world and need a little bit of insperation. I was thinking of using a play pin for the walls would this be okay? I would like it to be some what portable so I can take it camping with us. Thx for the help. Picks would be nice if you have any I am a visual learner.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some people use playpens for outside time and they work very well. They are ventilated so they don't get too hot, but they also allow sunlight in. How long do you plan on camping? I would think about leaving him behind in his normal enclosure if you aren't going to be camping for very long. If you're in an RV or something similar, a travel tank with lighting may work for you though.

Pazuzu

Original Poster
I would like to take him with me on short trips maybe 3 or 4 days at the most. He will only come with me if he is healthy, and does well on small test trips, and if the weather permits.

I think I will use the play pin. should I use one with or with out a bottom, and do I need anything more in it other than a basking spot and a place with shade? What could I use as a basking spot that will not get to hot in the sun?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would probably use one with a bottom to help keep out unwanted bugs. Lightning bugs are especially problematic. You could use a half log or a bunch of driftwood to build climbing areas and hides for him. The wood shouldn't get too hot even in the sun.

Pazuzu

Original Poster
OK thx for all the help. Should I line the bottom with something to help him move around?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on the bottom really. If there is enough texture for him to move around, then it should be OK. If he slips on it or can't get traction, you may want to put down something with a bit of texture to it. Maybe some shelf liner or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom