Leather Beardie Harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
First of all, I'd like to introduce my helper, Robert. He's our newcomer, and is turning out to be a real asset to the team.
IMAG8128-1.jpg

Now, we were asked how to make a simple leather harness. First of all, you'll need some stuff:
Essential:
A lizard
A swatch of strong leather or suede
A pair of sharp scissors
A pen (not pictured)
A tub of dragon treats (also not pictured)
Strong, non-fray cord, ribbon or thong (ditto)
Useful:
A leather punch
A bag of eyelets and washers
A rivet punch
A hammer
A hammer-block
2015%2B-%2B1

First, measure up your dragon. Ask him or her nicely to hold still whilst you wrap a length of leather or suede round his/her body, under their arms.
2015%2B-%2B2

Word of advice - keep all sharp/heavy/eatable-sized objects well away from lizards to avoid injury.

Trim the leather to the right length, and about an inch-and-a-half wide. Then, with the assistance of your dragon, mark where the armholes will need to be with your pen on the inside of the leather/suede. You will need to mark just INSIDE their armpits, as the space between the arms (the chest-piece) has the least room for error.
2015%2B-%2B3

It's easier to cut into leather by folding it, and snipping into the folded edge. From the points you marked, cut ovals lengthways of about an inch long, and half-an-inch wide. Leaving the ends of it long, you'll need to trim it into a TMNT-style "mask" shape so it fits snugly under your dragon's beard and round their arms - make sure to test the fit at this stage. Trim the ends into nice curves, making sure the "points" meet comfortably in the middle of your dragon's back.
2015%2B-%2B4

If you have a leather punch, find the right size for your eyelets and punch through the ends, leaving a safe margin - a few millimetres should do. If you don't have a punch, don't worry. You can still do it with scissors, using the fold and snip technique, but GO SLOW so you don't snip right through and trash your so-far-so-good harness :)
2015%2B-%2B5

Fit your eyelets sharp-side out by pushing them through from the inside - if there are any edges, they'll be well away from your dragon :)
2015%2B-%2B6

Pop the washer on, then hammer the eyelets smooth and secure, with your hammer-block underneath the eyelet punch. The pointy bit goes in through the front, to force the lip over the washer.
2015%2B-%2B7

To fit the harness, politely request that your dragon puts his or her hands through the holes. (Look how nice those eyelets look!) Gently draw the armholes past the elbow, and snug up against their ribs.
2015%2B-%2B9

It should now look like this. Run your cord/ribbon/thong through the eyelets. I've used a strip of leather for demo-purposes, but I wouldn't recommend using it as the final product, as it would likely snap - dragons are strong animals, and can move fast!
2015%2B-%2B10

Make a fixed loop at one end of your cord, and run the tail through the loop. This will act as a cinch - make sure it runs freely up and down the cord, or you'll have a job getting the poor crittur back out :p
2015%2B-%2B11

You're all done. Slide the loop up the cord to open the harness and let your dragon out. To fit, just slide the cord over his/her head when you're putting their arms through the holes, and slide the loop back down to secure. You're both ready for walkabouts! :D
2015%2B-%2B12

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is a very helpful post. Thanks for sharing! (this also seems to double as a Lone Ranger mask) =)

Zinnia

Seconded! This is very helpful, and way better than guessing what size harness they'll need.

cduncan26

im going to have to do this once it gets closer to the weather getting warmer... maybe another little spring project! this thing could be used all year around... it doubles as a mask!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom