Building a viv for our new future addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmcnair

Okay, I finally got my materials to build the viv for our future beardie. I had a few questions, cause I got myself all kinds of confused at Lowe's and Home Depot.

Do I need a ceramic light socket for the basking light if I'm gonna use a flood light? I have one for the CHE, but might not need a CHE, but I might...I wanna check out how warm it will be without one first.

Will a 2' UVB work in a 4' x 2' x 2'? I was going to get a 3' but can't find any dang fixtures for a 3'.

Okay...I've gotten distracted by my kiddoes and can't remember my other questions.

Thanks all. I will use this post to follow my endeavors building this thing.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
For a 4x2x2 I'd stick with a 22" T5 uvb personally - otherwise you might find yourself limited vertically for furniture on the cool side to keep the safe distance from it, it will also make it easier to have a 0 uvb area.

dmmcnair

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. I will start putting everything together. Yay! One day closer to our new addition.

Are the reptisun hoods able to be attached to the ceiling of the enclosure? Maybe with heavy duty velcro? I can probably jerryrig something or other. Luckily my hubby is a GM at Fastenal and I can get just about anything of that nature.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Instead of a hood, I'd get a reflective fixture like a Sunblaster or similar. They have holes that can be used to mount to a ceiling or they can be fitted with hooks so they can hang above an enclosure.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
CooperDragon":12ei3asr said:
Instead of a hood, I'd get a reflective fixture like a Sunblaster or similar. They have holes that can be used to mount to a ceiling or they can be fitted with hooks so they can hang above an enclosure.
^ this. The sunblasters are super easy to hang - the ceiling mounts screw in and the fixture snaps into them. They also come with a different clip what has a eyehole for hooks.

I think the reptisun can be mounted too? I am not sure though.

dmmcnair

Original Poster
I wish I could actually handle one of the reptisun hoods to see what I can possibly do. I could figure it out easily then. Sigh.

How hot do the hoods get? Would I have to put some spacers for some air flow...or even have to lower it some so that I get the distance correct.

I don't know anyone that has a beardie that actually lives close to me darnit.

Oh well. I have a little bit of time for that light. The basking light needs to be close to the UVB correct?

Thanks ya'll.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll want the UVB light to be on the same side of the tank as the basking light so your dragon gets the benefit of both heat and UVB exposure at the basking site. I'm not sure how hot the ReptiSun hoods get, but my reflective fixture gets warm to the touch. Not dangerously hot, I can keep my hand on it, but it does put out a bit of heat.

dmmcnair

Original Poster
80838-3220377881.jpg
My daughter working hard helping!

80838-8306568013.jpg
This is for the geckos.

80838-5811724877.jpg
This is for the new addition.

We are done for now. We still need some more supplies, waiting on the post man.

dmmcnair

Original Poster
All done! And just in time for our new baby, Imugi!

80838-317658675.jpg

The Reptison T5 HO is along the back right side top, the heat lamp is right in front of it, and I put an LED on the left side. Along the back and covered with a 1/4" board is a heat pad for if the temp drops too much at night. My house is cold! All the lights are on a timer, the heat lamp is on a dimmer, as well as the heat pad...though that isn't plugged in right now. I have two digital thermometers on both sides, one has a humidity reading. I plan on purchasing the temp gun soon. Floors are tile.

Whatcha all think? Am I good to go?

I am also putting together DIY decorations...a log, a hide, a basking spot...but that is slow going. I'll post pics of those when done.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks really great! Should be a very happy home. One minor suggestion is to use a ceramic heat emitter for nighttime heat. That will allow for some self regulation (they are designed to regulate heat from above) and reduce the risk of burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom