Old Ethan Allen dresser's new life as a viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imhotep

SO the wife gave the ok to re-purpose an old dresser. I still need to finish up the grout work but I wanted some input while I can still make changes. Size is 48x18x28. Need to order glass but the tracks are down and all light fixtures installed.

CHE and Basking lamp will be on the right end with an LED light on the left side for light. 24 inch Reptisun 10 for UVB

Any input on what size flood light Ill need for her basking spot. Duckie is a little over a year old.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like it's going to be really nice! At that height, I'd go with a 150w basking bulb or a 90w halogen flood. You may need to tinker with the wattages a bit or put them on a lamp dimmer so you can fine tune the temps.

Imhotep

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3d5r3kq1 said:
That looks like it's going to be really nice! At that height, I'd go with a 150w basking bulb or a 90w halogen flood. You may need to tinker with the wattages a bit or put them on a lamp dimmer so you can fine tune the temps.

The bulb in the picture is a 90 watt and the unregulated temp was over 140 degrees at the basking spot. Ill snag a dimmer. I prefer to use a flood since basking bulbs seem to burn out if you breathe on them too hard

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you're getting those temps, you may want to step down to a 60w or so. I'd try the dimmer first though because it will allow you the extra power if needed but allow you to fine tune the temps as needed.

Imhotep

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2f1s0jio said:
If you're getting those temps, you may want to step down to a 60w or so. I'd try the dimmer first though because it will allow you the extra power if needed but allow you to fine tune the temps as needed.

Yeah I was considering buying a few different wattages and seeing what I got then returning what I didnt need.

rempop

I switch between 3 different bulbs depending on the temp that the house is staying at. I tend to go from 2 40 watts to a CHE and a 150, summer to winter.

Imhotep

Original Poster
Test fit for the background. Ill be installing the top drawer faces so the light fixtures wont be visible.

dmmcnair

Very nice! I just got all/most of my materials for building ours. It's great to see others, to help guide me. LOL

So on your light fixtures, did you have to drill holes in the ceiling and did you add an electrical box? The electrical had me going around in circles yesterday at Lowes and Home Depot. I think the associates thought I was a ditz.

Did you use all porcelain fixture/sockets? I got one porcelain one and a few plastic ones. Maybe I should have gotten all of them porcelain? Could you explain how you wired them please? I'm starting to second guess my self again. Sorry. Apparently I am a ditz. :?

Imhotep

Original Poster
dmmcnair":2p2yjzip said:
Very nice! I just got all/most of my materials for building ours. It's great to see others, to help guide me. LOL

So on your light fixtures, did you have to drill holes in the ceiling and did you add an electrical box? The electrical had me going around in circles yesterday at Lowes and Home Depot. I think the associates thought I was a ditz.

I cut extension cords, put connectors on the wires and attached them to the ceramic light fixtures. After that I just screwed them into the top of the enclosure.

No electrical box I just plug everything into my Zilla Power Center (power bar with a timer)

dmmcnair

Imhotep":s4sjtt6u said:
I cut extension cords, put connectors on the wires and attached them to the ceramic light fixtures. After that I just screwed them into the top of the enclosure.

No electrical box I just plug everything into my Zilla Power Center (power bar with a timer)

Thanks. Sorry but confused on the connectors. You didn't wrap the wires around the posts/screws?
I apologize for all the questions and my confusion. I don't want to mess this up, nor cause a fire or any other calamity for that matter. LOL I have the extension cords to cut to attach to the fixtures, but the associate at HD said I needed the electrical box. I'd prefer not cutting big holes into the ceiling of my enclosure.

Right now I'm having issues just finding a 36" T8 fixture for the UVB.

Imhotep

Original Poster
dmmcnair":194zu0sc said:
Imhotep":194zu0sc said:

Thanks. Sorry but confused on the connectors. You didn't wrap the wires around the posts/screws?
I apologize for all the questions and my confusion. I don't want to mess this up, nor cause a fire or any other calamity for that matter. LOL I have the extension cords to cut to attach to the fixtures, but the associate at HD said I needed the electrical box. I'd prefer not cutting big holes into the ceiling of my enclosure.

Right now I'm having issues just finding a 36" T8 fixture for the UVB.

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1433/Ring-Terminals/

Link is for example, you can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. I tested everything for about 48 hours to make sure it wasnt going to burn the house down. I didnt use an electrical box. Just connectors on the cord and attached to the posts on the sockets. I used connectors because I was paranoid about the wires unwrapping from the posts.

I used a 3/4 inch spade bit to make small holes at the top of the back of the enclosure for each cord.

I am using a 24 inch Lights America fixture for UVB. Placed it about 8 inches from the right wall. Covers the majority of the enclosure but provides a UV free zone on the cool side of the viv.

The box type area on the right under the basking spot is a dig box because my Dragon likes to swim and dig. Im not sure anyone let her know shes a desert lizard.

dmmcnair

Thank you! I don't know why I didn't connect the dots with the connector...I've seen em, and used em. I'm telling ya, my brain is fried from material shopping.

Thank you again...this helps me a lot.

Imhotep

Original Poster
dmmcnair":1uj93tsm said:
Thank you! I don't know why I didn't connect the dots with the connector...I've seen em, and used em. I'm telling ya, my brain is fried from material shopping.

Thank you again...this helps me a lot.

No problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom