Sand Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey :)
I have two bearded dragons. Athena is about 7 months old, but she's been sick (just diagnosed as protozoa.) so she's only 39 grams :(. My other baby is Calypso, shes 6 months WELL over 60 grams.. I bought the Zoo Med starter tanks off their website (Athena is in a 20 gallon and Cali is in a 40 gallon). My question is: Both the enclosures came with sand... Is there anything I can do with it? I've read that sand is HORRIBLE to put in their cage loose, but I was wondering if there was a way I could bake it?? and make something out of it?????
Thanks!
Allie

RoKa

Depends on the type of sand... some sand you can mix into potting soil for some types of plants or use it as 'decoration' on top of soil (or fill glasses with it and put shells in the glasses)

I personally think sand shouldn't be used for beardies no matter the age even if people have done it fine for years before so it's a good call on you to try and make something different with it.

If you wanna make something your beardies can use try this:
http://pagingfunmums.com/2014/07/06/homemade-sand-clay-recipe-create-bake-keep/

I made the clay version without sand and it's kind of interesting but it's not as stable as real clay sadly. If it's too dry it's kind of brittle (like pulling apart a block of yeast), when you make it wet to make it elastic it will be too soft to support itself (and if you put it on top of a mold it will crack on top cause it's dry while the inside touching the mold will stay moist... talking out of experience here :( tried to make a nice big hide on top of an aluminum-covered dome and it all just went to s***), so this clay is really only good for small figurines or flat pieces (like foot prints shown in the tutorial).
I think it dries nice and solid though so you could make a flat sheet with holes on the sides and then drill legs on those holes for a sandy basking spot?
Just let your creativity play around! If all fails just toss the sand or store it in case you ever have a use for it in the future (you never know!). It came included anyway so you didn't really pay extra for it

FreakedOutMama

Original Poster
I actually used it in my classroom. I found a recipe online, mixed the sand with boiling water, molded it into "dinosaur fossils" and baked them for 50 min at 400 degrees. They turned out so cute! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom