grout sculpture question

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxGruntxX

I made this HUUGGEE cage decor stuff out of Styrofoam covered in grout, its over my beardies whole cage and it looks great, I just finished it and its drying right now. Question is, does it have to be sealed? What would happen if I font seal it?

XxGruntxX

Original Poster
*don't. Also, if I do have to seal it, what kind is best? I would like it to be easy to clean up his.. Messes... And water proof enough when I have to Clean it.

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
yes you'll have to seal it

you can use polycrylic sealer or mod podge (some kinds may be sticky after drying so you'll probably want the outdoor or hard coat if you go with it)

i made one myself recently with foam, grout, cement color (to get a nice red rock color) , and mod podge hard coat here is an image

79822-4806245584.jpg

and here it is in use

79822-5050985604.jpg

79822-9333541025.jpg

and if you do go with the mode podge a tip brush it on in thin coats and after letting it dry for 20 or so min go over it again lightly with a brush to smooth out any droplets that ran or areas with more as otherwise when it dries you can get little white bubbles and such in the finish , and let it dry for about 3 days between coats (you'll only need a few coats anyway)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Yeah, seal it. ;) grout can be porous soak up poo and nastiness. Brushing on the sealer also helps to knock off crumbles and loose bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom