Finish on a fake rock wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I was wondering about the finish Ive used for a fake rock wall I created. It has a styrofoam base, covered in several layers of grout, some oster paint, and a good 4-5 layers of polycrylic finish. I noticed when it had dried, it still had this weird toxic smell, so I waited for it to air out a little. About a month later, it had stopped smelling, but when I tested it out in the viv with heating and lights (no lizard, thankfully) it started smelling again. So my question is, should I paint on a different finish? Will it stop doing that after some more time? Polycrylic is waterbased, Im not sure what the problem is :| ...

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
Yes use another sealant. This is common with polycrylic. Look into spray on stuff that is safe for fish it works well.

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
im working with some mod podge hard coat right now and the stuff works pretty well just need to be careful and put it on thin or else you'll end up with white bubbles that will have to be sanded out

on smell though just smelled were i had mod podged it and i can't smell anything

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How thick did you put the polycryclic on and what are the conditions you are curing it at? It sounds like it's not fully cured?

pogonavitticeps

Original Poster
I put it on months ago, so its hard to remember...Im pretty sure I put 3-4 layers? I remember I let it dry outside once, but it caused it to "crackle" somewhat, so I had to put on a few more layers after that (not sure if thats relevant) But yeah, I thought it would be cured by now, considering its been 3 months

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
pogonavitticeps":1nkcy63g said:
I put it on months ago, so its hard to remember...Im pretty sure I put 3-4 layers? I remember I let it dry outside once, but it caused it to "crackle" somewhat, so I had to put on a few more layers after that (not sure if thats relevant) But yeah, I thought it would be cured by now, considering its been 3 months

Weird! I've not had a problem with it myself. I'd certainly think in at time it would cure all the way. Hopefully the next sealer you use stops the smell. I've heard good things about epoxies but they can be expensive :/

What styrofoam did you use? Great Stuff expanding foam can be a chore to cure as well, but I'd think three months would be enough even.

pogonavitticeps

Original Poster
Jeez, I can hardly remember! I think it was some sort of foam insulation, but it was pretty much just styrofoam. I used gorrilla glue (no liquid nails at the store) which takes about an hour to dry, but I let it dry in between each sticking. Heres hoping a few layers of a different finish will help, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom