Tank topper ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertIsis

Hello all,

I wanted to get some advice and thoughts on an idea I had for my enclosure. We just got a kitten and have noticed that she enjoys being up high. This, unfortunately, includes on top of the beardie tank. Not good. This is obviously dangerous to both the kitten (very hot lamps) and my beardie.

So I was thinking about how to solve this issue. We really don't want to lock up the kitten. When we lock her in our room at night, she just wants to play... on our faces -_- . We had been locking her up during the day, but my fiancé just felt terrible about doing that. She doesn't really knock things over, and mostly spends the day sleeping. But if she wanted to play, and race up and down the stairs, we want to give her that opportunity.

SO back to the tank. I was thinking of crating a custom "hood" to cover the top of the tank. I was thinking something that was sloped, ventilated, and that I could decorate to match the décor within the tank.
I want something that will hide the lights, so the entire display looks nicer, AND will keep the kitten off. So the material probably needs to be a bit stronger.

Am I asking for too much with this, or does it sounds possible?

Also, if there is already a product like this in existence, please tell me! I'm starting graduate school so the amount of time I have for crafting is limited, but I will make time to make this structure.

Does anyone have recommendations on materials or design. After I sketch out my idea, I can post it here.

Mizliz

Did you ever make any progress with this? It truly sounds like the dream topper! I'd love to see what you came up with

DesertIsis

Original Poster
As of now, some terrible looking cardboard has been doing the job. BUT I have my spring break coming up soon!
AND my dad is coming to visit. I think those two things together could make some tank topper magic happen! I'll post once we have something to show.

Thanks for replying! It helps to light the fire under my butt to get this done!

Mizliz

Don't feel too badly about your cardboard! I have an old too small screen top being held up by a stick on my tank haha. Dads are the best! So are spring breaks.... that is pretty much the ultimate get it done combo. :D I'll be experimenting over spring break as well, as soon as I figure out which lights I'll be switching to! I'm looking forward to your updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom