DIY cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsr8129

I am planning on building my beardy a semi custom cage as her current one is a Lil small. I am going to be making a 48x24x21 cage. Reason I am going 21 high is so I only have to use one piece of 48x96 melamine board. My concern of doing a 48inch long is how to properly heat it. I have read about using one 45w spot light and wondering will this be enough heat on the basking side to heat the whole cage to approx 80 on the cool side?

Also I have a question about ventilation. I have seen people use the circular vents 2-4 of them along the back and also long square ones along the back and also square ones on the side. How much ventilation is necessary? Can you over ventilate, under ventilate? I can always add more later but how do you know when too much or two little is going on?

Here are the dimensions of my boards if some one can make sure my measurements are correct

top and bottom. 24x48
Sides 24x21
back 19 1/2 x 46 1/2
Front bottom trim 3x46 1/2
Front top trim 2x46 1/2
I am using 3/4 thick melamine.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How do you plan to heat it, will the basking light be inside or outside the enclosure. What uvb will you use? T5 would be best imo. You might be able to get 24" from the melamine if you use something else for the front, if the light is inside it would be worth it.

You don't want to use spotlights for heat, flood lights are the way to go. Spotlights make too small a pattern and can even cause burns. I use a 75W globe in my 4x2x2 and get a basking area of 110 and a cool side of 83.

I used the two big ones in the side. My cage is against a wall so the back wouldn't work so well for me. You want enough that the air flow misfits and it doesn't get stagnant in the cage, and good ventilation will also help manage humidity. Too much is only a problem as it is wasteful of heat and make he cage harder to keep warm.

Bsr8129

Original Poster
Thanks tater. that is a good question on how to heat it, the bulbs are planning on being inside. I am goign to use the current uvb fixture that i have, its 18 inch long and will update to a larger one if needed.

You correct flood light not spot light will be used, ill get a 75w one and see how it works with my temps.

I think I am going to try two long ones along the back for ventilation and see how it works, it should seem like it will be enough, but if nesscary i can add more after.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Sounds like a good plan :)

My biggest complaint with the 4x2x2 and having the light inside - the bulb+fixture+6" minimum safe distance adds up :( with a T8 uvb it's challenging to get far enough from the what bulb and close enough to the UVB.

Bsr8129

Original Poster
I got most of it built last night at 21 inch it does look high in side. I'll see if I can mount the lights in tonight to see what distance it takes up. My only issue is getting track for the glass. Seems like I'll have to order it from somewhere. Any one have any info on ordering it. Any place but outwater ( I think that's what the place is called)

Bsr8129

Original Poster

Bsr8129

Original Poster
It's working out pretty well. The cool side Temps are 80-85. And under heat light 110. I really.like that I went with 21 or so high and not 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom