Viv ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
So i have been wanting to build a viv and wanted your feedback on this one. All together it is 48"long,72"tall 24" wide
http://snag.gy/k5azp.jpg
It would be stack-able and made into 3 sections the vivs each their own section and then the cabinet underneath would be own section.
The tanks themselves would be 46" long 21"wide and between 13-15 inches tall. It would have 7 inches above for lighting with the lights recessed into the top. The glass doors would open out.
Do you think that size is proper or should i make the tanks a bit taller?
Also is there any certain woods or such you shouldnt use?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I like your plan, it's quite attractive. I have a 4x2x2 that feels too short and a 4x2x4 that is really tall - your height will most influence your furniture and light options after that it's more personal preference. For me 15" is too short, but I like to have vertical room for climbing furniture.

Also, you may need to consider heat transfer from the lower unit to the upper, you may need insulation or ventilation between them to keep the upper one from over heating.

It's advised to avoid pine, bht that can be pretty hard. Once it's sealed well it shouldn't be a problem. Polyurethane needs a week or two minimum to cure.

Personally I like sliding doors over swing out.

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I can add a couple more inchs to the height of each viv. I was worried about them being too short. My house is unfortunately ridiculously short so 6 feet is the tallest i can make the whole thing but i can take 4-8inchs away from the cabinet underneath to give the vivs some more height. I didnt even think of sliding doors. They would work better considering i have a Italian greyhound who likes to run around the house like a little madwomen.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Those are such cute dogs!

How are you planning on setting up the basking lights? I found that takes up the most space...6-8" for a flush mounted socket +bulb and another 6" min safe distance.

Amazon.com sells pastic runners for the sliding style doors.

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Truly the lights i havnt really figured out. Im going to talk to my dad who has more experiance with lights and their fixtures but i have the 6 inches above each viv set aside for lights but if i need more i can cut more height out of the cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom