Custom DIY Viv ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slacrossm

Hello, I have a 40 gal breeder tank from nat geo (has front glass doors that open) and am looking to make the cage look nicer. Currently I have Dracarys (shes a little over a year old) on shelf liner, and have a basking rock from petsmart and a tree from petsmart (she doesn't climb on it much because she is too big) and a hammock that she LOVES, but constantly breaks because of her increasing weight. I am looking to do something custom (Ultimate dream would be to make a Game of Thrones inspired tank!). Any ideas about creating custom basking platforms, flooring, walls, etc? Please upload any pics of your tanks as well so we can all see some creativity :) Thankyou!

ps-Does anyone have one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11893-Digital-Center-1875-Watt/dp/B0012GTRSW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
For the hammock you could use a blob of silicone to adhere the suction cup. It fumey though, maybe do it at night and have Dracarys sleep in a bin for the evening.

Check this site out. http://www.lizard-landscapes.com
It doesn't warm up like real rock does but it's much lighter. I go the more natrual route, but the technique is flexible. You could do some neat game of thrones things. I use a similar technique to make models of video game props - you can use paper mâché for a smooth surface - it's not strong like grout is though.

I use all natural stuff on my dragon enclosure now. I have n the past used zip ties to bundle branches together, and bamboo mats for bridges. I made some rocks for a snake enclosure:
952F456A-E9DE-4CD7-B3DB-D3F409E4DC84_zpsqx9uv6rv.jpg

Of course, the moss died.

slacrossm

Original Poster
That is a cute setup! Since the grout does not heat up like rocks, would it not be a good thing to do to make a basking platform out of Styrofoam with grout? (I was also concerned that it would get too hot and melt!). That is a great idea with the hammock! I also have looked at that website, and absolutely love the designs, although I am not that artistic.

Which leads me to another point, do you know of anyone that makes decor like the ones on that website and sells them? Thank you!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It heats up well enough and won't melt - it just doesn't get a nice even heat through the thickness like solid stone.

In have seen a few for sale... But not really worth buying IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom