Any ideas for building a custom basking platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what it says, I need an idea on how to build my guy a basking and feeding platform. Not sure what to doooooo. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Do you have any ideas yet? Id be happy to help figure out how to make it if you know what look or method you are after.

Lizard landscapes has tutorials for the grout and foam method, and there are some threads on other forums for more realistic foam/grout technique.
Natural materials can be used too, I use rocks and sticks.
You could build something out of wood, or pavers, or bricks, or cinder block....etc.

JenessaDent

Original Poster
Odin enjoys rocks and sticks. He's not big on much else. So anything more natural that does not involve foam or grout really

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Here are a couple layouts I've used. I gather most of my furnishings from outside, but home improvement and garden centers may have interesting pavers/landscaping stones etc. Just make sure they are stable and wont topple over. I've had good results with using zip ties to make the sticks hold together and get more stable structures out of them. Avoid pine/cedar and anything that may have contaminants on it.

Very simple, easy to clean - the big rock is balanced on top of a half cinder-block.

Similar to the previous, but I needed to consolidate some branches since Pepper got too big for the other setup. I started zip-tieing the branches together.

My current setup - he has a few options (flat sand stone, upright granite and the log thing) as well as some space under the sandstone (it's help up on some bricks so i wont collapse) and a 'cave' inside the log thing.

I also really like the basking setup in this thread - the 'stacked' hides gives the dragon a couple options for hiding temperature. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=210516#p1651853

Here is a similar thread using 'retes stacks' - a basking/hide combo used with monitor lizards. You could easily do it without the soil. It sort of looks natural in that the idea is to simulate a stack of debris/lumber.

Other ideas that I've tried or have thought about doing:
Cardboard box with tile on top (for a 'sterile' setup when treating coccidia)
Half cinder block without the rock on top
Large paving stone supported on top of bricks/block
Stack of pavers/tiles
Log/More branches

I hope that helps give you some inspiration.

JenessaDent

Original Poster
I lOVE these ideas!!!! Exactly the setup I pondering about, but not sure if it was safe or not. Thank you so much!!!! This is perfect!

plasmacutter

pedro12":4dc2oewa said:
Yes Jenessa these are very lovely ideas Taterbug gave here. Useful for me also.

i also need some advice. will you please help pedro?? i just want to know that how to execute this idea in practical. please check your inbox as well

samsfloor

plasmacutter":9bg67eb5 said:
pedro12":9bg67eb5 said:
Yes Jenessa these are very lovely ideas Taterbug gave here. Useful for me also.

i also need some advice. will you please help pedro?? i just want to know that how to execute this idea in practical. please check your inbox as well

May be i can help you out. you can ask me as well . i will wait for your Pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom