Home made terrain/flooring for bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about using sculpeys polymer nontoxic clay to make the main stucture and to solidify the terrain, then to cover the terrain in sanded grout then use polycrylic sealer on the grout. The clay shouldn't harm the beardie once purified in the over and grouted since grout is harmless to them when sealed. If I have to I want to use acrylic paint since it was recommended, and suggestions? I want to make this terrain to give it an all natural look in the cave and simulate their wild habitat best I can. Half of the cage will use this and then I want to use a nesting clay substrate in a cave for my beardie to lay her eggs in when she gets pregnant. Only to be used around that time that is, when not no substrate will be in that cave.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I may not be imagining your project correctly but sculpey may not be ideal for that a ort of application. The cheaper versions (original and super sculpey) tend to be brittle and sometimes greasy even after cured. I've found the Gen1 stuff also tends to crumble over time and isn't very durable long term.

Are you planning to build over a foam support? Polystyrene sheets and great stuff expanding foam both work really well and find have made stunning structures for them.

Acrylic/latex paints work fine and will be protected by your sealer as well, I personally used tinted grout.

Nemesisreaper

Original Poster
I see, I never used them and only took word from affiliates on that. Now I won't use that clay. I know about using foam and grout to make props and such but would it be solid enough to use as half of the flooring for a beardie?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Yes many people have made the foam and grout ones, even including sand or stones into it to give it more realistic textures. I made a large basking platform that was very sturdy. Make sure the grout makes a solid shell - if it's thin or missing in places it may behind to chip there over time.

There are many how to guides but lots of folks recommend this one : http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
There is a guy who makes stuff with foam and tools from The Hot Wire Foam Factory on YouTube if you are going to make a turain I recommend watching his vids and seeing the stuff he makes. Just search something along the lines on lizard climbing wall and he should come up.

bookumdanom1

Ofthelime":qcvd8f9h said:
There is a guy who makes stuff with foam and tools from The Hot Wire Foam Factory on YouTube if you are going to make a turain I recommend watching his vids and seeing the stuff he makes. Just search something along the lines on lizard climbing wall and he should come up.

It's lizard landscapes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom