Types of wood - what's safe, what isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momo4

So now with the two new additions here, I am hunting for new tank setups and wondering what types of wood is safe for our babies? I know cedar is not, which stinks b/c my hubby brought home the coolest branch from a tree he cut down for someone.

I know we need to freeze the wood in order to kill any bugs/parasites when bringing one in from the wild outside, and I've baked any rocks/bricks I've used to ensure they are clean.

Is there a list of what wood is safe for reptiles? Is it the same for all reptiles? Could I use something for my boa or leopard geckos if it's not safe for the beardies?

Thanks for any help!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Here is a link to safe woods.Hope it helps:
[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=82696 f=34 ]
Also baking the wood is a better idea then freezing IMO.

momo4

Original Poster
Very good, thank you!!

Maple is a good wood which is cool b/c we have an old maple tree in our yard that lost a huge branch last year and we wanted to do something with it, and now we can!

If baking the wood, how would you not catch it on fire? (sorry, maybe a dumb question but I'm seeing me burning the house down trying that one, lol...) Lower temp at a certain length of time? What would you suggest?

Thanks again!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Not a dumb question at all,350F for 20 minutes should do it with no problems just don't let it get close to the elements.

can you paint the wood after its all put together?
and if you can what kind of paint is safe? (i feel silly for asking but with my luck....)

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
Safe wood would include just about anything but pine and cedar.
I put the wood on a cookie sheet at 250 f for 30 minutes and turn oven off
let wood sit in oven for an hr or so then take it out and let air cool down.
As far as painting i didnt paint any of his furniture but if you like
that textured stone look paint looks great use the paint sealer to seal after painting.
The inside of fatboys viv is painted with stone colored textured paint .
I sealed it with several coats of mini wax polycrylic sealer.
Make a good hard finish that is easy to clean.
Hope this helps
Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom