Finishing pieces ???

This forum is for discussing Do-It-Yourself projects. Building your own enclosure, incubator, etc? Share your ideas with others here!

Finishing pieces ???

Postby Longfellow777 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:24 am

I was wanting something more realistic for our baby girl and have been looking at a lot of DIY projects inspired me to try something. Are used Styrofoam for the base and then I took some Redimix concrete I had laying around and covered it in that. i’m pretty happy with the Weight. I’ve read a lot of people use polyurethane to finish is this possible in my case does anyone have any advice how to seal and finish this thing? As always would be greatly appreciated God bless you and yours
The Longfellows
Longfellow777
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Finishing pieces ??? part 2

Postby Longfellow777 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:47 pm

well since nobody has got back to me i went out and got a Matte finish can of polyeurothane and a sponge brush so i hope this works
The Longfellows
Longfellow777
Hatchling Poster

Re: Finishing pieces ???

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:08 pm

I think the concrete is probably going to be water tight once it cures, so you may not need to seal it. The polyurethane may work to seal it, I haven't tried that on concrete (just wood). If it doesn't work, you could try a non toxic concrete specific sealer. I think those tend to be at least partially polyurethane based though.
CooperDragon

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:19 pm

The poly should work but the concrete is going to soak up a ton of it. And also, you need to let the concrete cure fully before applying the sealer. Concrete can take quite awhile to fully cure and dry. How long has it been curing for?

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby Longfellow777 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:52 pm

thanks for the replies guys, and 2 days it has been curing it felt solid and im happy with the weight (not to heavy.) I painted with acrylic paint and added a coat of poly matte. So ill post once ive put the second coat on it and it drys a bit. :D I plan on this being the first of many projects
The Longfellows
Longfellow777
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to DIY