Is this grout safe to use?

This forum is for discussing Do-It-Yourself projects. Building your own enclosure, incubator, etc? Share your ideas with others here!

Is this grout safe to use?

Postby timberwolf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 am

Picked this up at Lowe's and just wanted to make sure it was safe to use before I opened it. I am making some fake rocks for a bio active bearded dragon enclosure and was told to go with unsanded grout. This was all I could see in the unsanded section. I picked out a colored grout and I thought I was good to go then I noticed it said "with polymer" on the bag. Not sure what that means, but like I said, it was all they offered. Is it safe to use or should I return it and look somewhere else? The fake rocks will be painted and sealed when complete. Thanks for any input!

timberwolf
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is this grout safe to use?

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:10 am

That looks like the dust could be pretty nasty. The silica sand doesn't look like something you'd want to inhale. Once it's set and sealed it may be OK, but you might consider just cleaning off a rock from outside and using that instead.

http://www.mapei.com/public/US/products/KERACOLOR-U_sds_EN.PDF
CooperDragon

Re: Is this grout safe to use?

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:16 am

All grouts are extremely fine dust. You would want to use a mask any time your working with it. There isnt a grout out there that wont be like that. It's basically a cement. So if you've ever seen a bag of cement (not concrete) you'll know how fine of a dust masonry materials can be.

The polymer in it is just an additive to help give it strength.

Any grout really is safe to use as long as you're going to be sealing over it.

So you can definitely use the bag you bought if you want. I typically go for whatever is on sale lol.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to DIY