Foam Rock Project Nearly Done

This forum is for discussing Do-It-Yourself projects. Building your own enclosure, incubator, etc? Share your ideas with others here!

Foam Rock Project Nearly Done

Postby Ben10dragon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:03 pm

I've been making a foam rock background for a 6ft x 18inch x 18inch tank. It has taken me ages to get this far but I am finally done the rock work part. I thought I would post a few pictures of my work so far. I got a new phone in the middle of it so I don't have my pictures from the very very beginning of cutting the foam (well I do, I'm just to lazy to charge my old phone to find them :P ). I love how it has turned out but I don't think I would ever attempt a project like this again. It took way too long and cost way too much haha. I still have to make a lid for it to mount the lights, but I'm hoping to have one of my baby beardies move in in the next week or two.

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

I used rigid foam insulation that was hot glued together for the structure. It is covered with about 5 layers of grout then painted with acrylic paint. I sealed it with 3-4 layers of diluted Gorilla wood glue. I haven't tested the heat lamp on it yet so I'm hopeful it will stand up to the high temperatures.
Ben10dragon
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Foam Rock Project Nearly Done

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 am

Looks great! Does it add a lot of weight to the enclosure?
CooperDragon

Re: Foam Rock Project Nearly Done

Postby Ben10dragon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am

CooperDragon wrote:Looks great! Does it add a lot of weight to the enclosure?

Thanks!! Yes, it's quite heavy. But the tank itself is far too heavy to be easily moved so it doesn't matter much.
Ben10dragon
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to DIY