My new DIY Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I used Oak laminated ply for this project just for a nicer exterior look in the tank. The inside wood will be covered by tile and fake rocks in the future.

Really didn't take many pictures of the actual building of the tank, but I will post what I built and how it turned out.

First pic is the tank built, and the glass fitted into place
full

I used the table saw to run a grove on the upper and lower horizontal pieces. The Kerf of the blade was the perfect width for the glass that I bought. So thats how the glass is mounted. It slides back and fourth in the upper and lower grove.

Even though I spent more for Oak ply, I still wanted to stain it. This is the result
full

Basking light mounted in the next picture
full

This was something I ended up changing too. I originally mounted an electrical box to the top of the enclosure and then mounted a porcelain fixture on that to house the bulb. Well even with a 50w bulb I was getting temps of 109 on the floor of the enclosure. Which led me to cut a hole in the top, raise the box up out of the top, and have the porcelain fixture be flush with the inside top which caused the box to stick up about an inch. Not the best look but it's a note to make for the future.

And here it is completed with Tombo in it
full

full

You can see what I meant about the box sticking up in that last picture.

I still need to build a stand for the tank, and i'll update this thread as I do that.

All in all, I would consider this a great learning experience and I've learned a lot of things that I want to do differently in the next enclosure I build. The first being to start sooner than 1 week before getting a dragon lol.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Thanks!

Tile is in
full

Bought the materials I need to start working on the background and decorations too. Got big plans for either this tanks decor or the next one.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
chrsschb":o3mboazp said:
Looks good, how did you do the glass? I'm working on my new cage right now (just started Saturday).

I cut a grove into the top and bottom running boards. The kerf of my tablesaw blade was the perfect width for the thickness of the glass. So the glass slides in one "track" and they put up against each other.
Here's a few pictures for visual
full

full

I actually like this better than the track idea people have been using where the glass overlaps each other.

-Brandon

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I really hope you let it air out for a couple of weeks before your dragon was put in it. Minwax and other stains give off fumes that can be toxic. if it still has the smell, it's not ready for use.
I really do like what you have done with it so far though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I did. And I baked it with the lights on and installed. That's why Tombo lived in his little glass tank for the first week because the poly was still curing. FWIW I only stained the exterior, but inside and out was sealed with poly and allowed to fully cure.

My poly said it would be fully cured in 3 days. I had it in the garage sitting with lights on for over a week.
No smell.

-Brandon

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
claudiusx":3d2sybzy said:
I did. And I baked it with the lights on and installed. That's why Tombo lived in his little glass tank for the first week because the poly was still curing. FWIW I only stained the exterior, but inside and out was sealed with poly and allowed to fully cure.

My poly said it would be fully cured in 3 days. I had it in the garage sitting with lights on for over a week.
No smell.

-Brandon
Awesome

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
How big is the tank?

Also, how big is the piece of glass? I wonder about the glass being heavy and how the edge feels when you move it. One solid glass piece looks splendid. Is the glass tempered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom