Chopin's New Digs *Entertainment Center Project*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be turning an entertainment center I got off craigslist for $50 into a new enclosure for my Chopin. This comes in three sections: top, middle, bottom
I'm not sure if Ill be using the bottom as I want to use my old carved piano legs with it -which is what Chopin's enclosure is on at the moment.

I'm still brain storming...haha but either way im off to home depot for the basics: a new backing, vents, maybe new tile for flooring and possibly some glass to start working on the doors/windows.

I thought I would start posting all my progress photos here.

Chopin's enclosure right now:
YICc864l.jpg

The Entertainment Center

iTs2p7yl.jpg

mcUZi6el.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should be quite nice! I've found that gutter guards make nice looking vent covers. I advise putting vents low on the cool side and high on the warm side to allow airflow via convection.

JennieLovesKisses

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ggjg9fj said:
That should be quite nice! I've found that gutter guards make nice looking vent covers. I advise putting vents low on the cool side and high on the warm side to allow airflow via convection.

I will definitely be putting the vents low on cool side, high on warm. I've been going back and forth on what vents I'd like to use. I bought a pair of cheaper ones (white which don't match lol) but there where a couple different options. Gutter guards as vent covers would look nice too I think, do you by chance have any reference photos? I was also looking at some other decorative metal sheeting but I'm still not sure yet.

I also need to figure out my lighting situation. At what level I should put my UV and/or how many levels i'd like to add. :study:

JennieLovesKisses

Original Poster
New backing on + Doors off
pa8X9fHl.jpg

Tile cut
I was going to grout and set it all but this is how I've always done my tile in tanks - its easy it take out and clean/swap flooring styles out. I was thinking of adding a rubber tubing all along the outer edges to keep the tiles nice and tight but thats just an experiment in itself that ill post once I try it.
Ag52Y1Rl.jpg

Cutting out doors for the glass
I also sanded, I still need to paint/stain
MkQwZKWl.jpg

Doors installed
Uhxn0T2l.jpg

kGVI0ifl.jpg

hqSESral.jpg

hosjQsql.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is what I had in mind. There are a bunch of options along the same lines though. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Snap-in-Gutter-Filter-PVC-Gutter-Screen/50040808

It looks like it's coming along nicely! Since you have space, I suggest setting up lighting into 4 zones. Have a high UVB, high heat area, a high heat, low UVB area, a low heat, low UVB area, and a low/moderate heat, high/moderate UVB area available. You can do this using levels or using the width. I'm not sure how it would work best in that setup. I would use Taterbug's setup as reference https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

JennieLovesKisses

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2lmwd7q5 said:
This is what I had in mind. There are a bunch of options along the same lines though. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Snap-in-Gutter-Filter-PVC-Gutter-Screen/50040808

It looks like it's coming along nicely! Since you have space, I suggest setting up lighting into 4 zones. Have a high UVB, high heat area, a high heat, low UVB area, a low heat, low UVB area, and a low/moderate heat, high/moderate UVB area available. You can do this using levels or using the width. I'm not sure how it would work best in that setup. I would use Taterbug's setup as reference https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

Thank you so much, those links are super helpful. I really like the 4 zone setup. I was having a hard time trying to figure out where my levels were going to go and where to place my UVB fixture so that is handy to have as a reference. I'm on an Arcadia T5 uvb right now and wasn't quite sure if I needed to place it lower in the enclosure or if just creating levels for Chopin to get closer would suffice. The inside of the enclosure measures 34" tall 54.5" wide and 19" deep.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd go with levels as long as it is quite easy for him to move between them. The Arcadia T5 should sit about 12'' above a high UVB zone.

JennieLovesKisses

Original Poster
5agclWCh.jpg

Starting on levels & brainstorming ideas on where i think i want to put my lighting/heat...not sure yet.

1: Mini Halogen
2: Two Foot T5
3: Heat Emitter <- Only used if needed, I've been running it at night this winter.
4: Clear white 75 watt & 75 watt basking bulb (not sure which I'll use)
5: The ramp to the highest level won't actually be that wide, I only used a spare cutout I had for an example. I am considering cutting out a hole to another level that could sit just below (#7)
6: Ramp to level 1. I might skip a ramp altogether and use the log/branch Chopin is currently using in his tank.
7: Possible mini level.
8: Low Vent - Still need to attach vent cover
9: High Vent - Still need to attach vent cover

JennieLovesKisses

Original Poster
A couple more photos after getting those 3 levels into place and getting the vents on and attaching ramps (ramps still need some little grippers for beardie feet, Chopin tested it out today and it was more of a slide than anything...he was not amused) :lol:

13kBGdhh.jpg

Don't mind the glass on the second level, I still need to get that one into the door. I just wanted to show the height and width of the levels.
wuiO2leh.jpg

LWnGqFdh.jpg

Ztzpfash.jpg

I need to attach the glass to the door better. I may use a sealant as well as pins to hold the glass into place.
MBv1jYrh.jpg

I took Chopin out to show just how massive this enclosure is...I've never seen him black beard this much, he was not happy I moved him from his warm sleepy spot (almost bedtime).
iHoX66Uh.jpg

He was able to get up here all by himself. The height is only about 3.5 inches high between the 3 shelves.
uwHSjjqh.jpg

So mad!
ugZ7Ga1h.jpg

Before I moved him out of his comfy spot. Sorry buddy haha
uRzEY7Wh.jpg

APPHgIWh.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's looking good. Do be careful about the steepness of the ramps. You want to be sure he can easily move between levels to encourage him to move about to regulate heat and UVB. If it's too steep he might be discouraged from (or unable to) move between the levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom